wine on RAM?

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
vajorie
Level 1
Level 1

wine on RAM?

Post by vajorie »

Hi,
Is there a way to run wine in RAM only using tmpfs? kinda like a portable application running from a flash disk?
I have a slow harddisk, and to alleviate the issue, I run Firefox Portable thru wine from RAM. However, I think wine running locally is causing slow downs when a few tabs are open etc.
Thanks
James McKenzie

wine on RAM?

Post by James McKenzie »

vajorie wrote:
Hi,
Is there a way to run wine in RAM only using tmpfs? kinda like a portable application running from a flash disk?
I have a slow harddisk, and to alleviate the issue, I run Firefox Portable thru wine from RAM. However, I think wine running locally is causing slow downs when a few tabs are open etc.

You might want to look and see if there is a portable version of Wine.

James McKenzie
IneedAname

wine on RAM?

Post by IneedAname »

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 21:51:47 -0600
"vajorie" <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi,
Thanks
This is all from my very bad memory please take it with a hand full of salt.
I think you could move your swap to your flash drive but the write times will be longer but with faster read time (I think).
This whole thing is not covered by wine.
This is not be the right place to ask for help for doing that.

You know the is a linux version of firefox? :P
vajorie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vajorie »

The only version of firefox that I knew would *not* call libraries in my harddisk was the portable one. but of course, *that* is being invoked by wine, which is in my hard drive, so I'm stuck again :))

my pc doesn't use swap. but accessing files on disk (iowait?) takes long... so if I can take the wine+firefox group and put it on RAM, I'd be good to go.

and where else would I ask how to get wine into RAM if not in the wine forums lol

or firefox-linux, but I doubt that even can be done. I should ask them that as well I guess.
IneedAname

wine on RAM?

Post by IneedAname »

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 06:21:40 -0600
The only version of firefox that I knew would call to libraries in my harddisk was the portable one. but of course, *that* is being invoked by wine, which is in my hard drive, so I'm stuck again :))

my pc doesn't use swap. but accessing files on disk (iowait?) takes long... so if I can take the wine+firefox group and put it on RAM, I'd be good to go.

and where else would I ask how to get wine into RAM if not in the wine forums lol
Google is your friend.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&cl ... arch&meta=
vajorie
Level 1
Level 1

Re: wine on RAM?

Post by vajorie »

IneedAname wrote:On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 06:21:40 -0600
The only version of firefox that I knew would call to libraries in my harddisk was the portable one. but of course, *that* is being invoked by wine, which is in my hard drive, so I'm stuck again :))

Google is your friend.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&cl ... arch&meta=
I'm using tmpfs (same logic - a directory in RAM). But I don't know how to throw everything that wine uses (and wine itself) into that directory...

I guess this should have been the question of my first post, but I'm bad at asking clear questions :)))

so, the clear question qould be, now, "I have created a tmpfs directory in my home directory. how do I throw wine and all its libraries and everything else it uses into that directory so that all wine uses is the files in that directory?"

sorry about that.
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

vajorie wrote:so, the clear question qould be, now, "I have created a tmpfs directory in my home directory. how do I throw wine and all its libraries and everything else it uses into that directory so that all wine uses is the files in that directory?"
Set WINEPREFIX to point inside that directory. 'man wine' for more details.
vajorie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vajorie »

but aren't the libraries it calls (and the binary itself) etc in my hard disk? how do I move wine itself to a directory where it can run in a self-contained form, like firefox portable would if it wasn't using wine to run?
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

vajorie wrote:but aren't the libraries it calls (and the binary itself) etc in my hard disk?
Wine itself can be anywhere. You can install it anywhere you want to.
IneedAname

wine on RAM?

Post by IneedAname »

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 10:04:45 -0600
so, the clear question qould be, now, "I have created a tmpfs directory in my home directory. how do I throw wine and all its libraries and everything into that directory so that all wine uses is the files in that directory?"
Right, you want to install wine into your ram disk.

You need to build wine your self fetch the source and run this:
./configure --prefix="/path/to/the/place/you/have/your/ramdisk/mounted"
before you use "make"

Then when you run wine use:
env WINEPREFIX="/path/to/the/place/you/have/your/ramdisk/mounted/myprefix" "/path/to/the/place/you/have/your/ramdisk/mounted/bin/wine" "(PROGRAM PATH)"

By the way you will need to dump your ramdisk to your hard drive before you shutdown or you lost it all. but I'm sure you new that.
vajorie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vajorie »

thanks a lot. I'll try it as soon as I can!
vajorie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vajorie »

IneedAname wrote:On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 10:04:45 -0600
so, the clear question qould be, now, "I have created a tmpfs directory in my home directory. how do I throw wine and all its libraries and everything into that directory so that all wine uses is the files in that directory?"
Right, you want to install wine into your ram disk.

You need to build wine your self fetch the source and run this:
./configure --prefix="/path/to/the/place/you/have/your/ramdisk/mounted"
before you use "make"

Then when you run wine use:
env WINEPREFIX="/path/to/the/place/you/have/your/ramdisk/mounted/myprefix" "/path/to/the/place/you/have/your/ramdisk/mounted/bin/wine" "(PROGRAM PATH)"

By the way you will need to dump your ramdisk to your hard drive before you shutdown or you lost it all. but I'm sure you new that.
that worked nicely. thanks again. but there is no speed improvement.

bah, at least I learned something new :)