Helpful Hints for OS X Users (Idiots Guide?)

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
computerwiz_222

Post by computerwiz_222 »

Hello,

I have been busy working away at getting Darwine to run on OS X with no luck... I tried uninstalling and reinstalling many times, but I was continually getting gdi32.dll errors.

This guide was tested on OS X Leopard 1.5.6. The following guide is how I set it up. The steps may vary slightly for you. Be sure to read this whole thread before actually trying some of the things listed here, some of them might not apply to your situation.

Remove Darwine

First, if you have already tried to get Darwine running on your own, but had difficulty or error messages, remove it and start from scratch. Go to your applications folder and delete the folder entitled Darwine. If you installed Trix, delete it as well. Next, you will need to remove a hidden folder in your user folder. There is a complicated way to do this, and there is my easy way. Go to your Applications folder, open the Utilities folder and launch Terminal.

The following command will allow you to see hidden files and folders from finder.

Code: Select all

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
Copy and paste that command into the terminal and press enter. It will appear that nothing has happened.

Next click on the Apple in the top left of your screen and click "Force Quit..." When the window opens, click Finder and then click the relaunch button. This just restarted Finder to allow that command to take effect.

Go to your User Folder. This can be found by opening Macintosh HD, and clicking your Home Folder. Locate the folder ".wine" and delete it.

Now to restore Finder to its original state, run this command, and restart Finder again.

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles NO
You have just removed Darwine!

Install XQuartz 2.3.2

You will need to download XQuartz 2.3.2 from this URL:

http://static.macosforge.org/xquartz/do ... .3.2.1.dmg

When the download completes, mount the image by double-clicking it. Launch the installer, and follow the instructions. If any choices arise, leave all default selections.

XQuartz is now installed.

(Re)Install Darwine

Download the latest stable release of Darwine from this URL:

http://darwine.good-day.net/Darwine-x86-1.0.1.dmg

When the download completes, mount the image by double-clicking it. A window will open. Drag the Darwine folder to the Applications folder, and if you like, copy Trix as well. (I copied it, but never configured/used it.)

Darwine is now installed.

Prepare Darwine to Run

This step may seem silly, but this was the key to making everything work for me.

Before trying to launch Darwine by calling a windows application, we need to launch Darwine on its own. Go to your Applications folder, open the Darwine folder and launch Darwine. From the Menu at the top of the screen, click WineHelper and then click Configure Wine. The computer will appear to crash, but it is running a process in the background. Simply leave it for about a minute, maybe two.

Don't change any settings, just click save, and close the window.

Click on the WineHelper button again, and this time click on Preferences. Don't change any values, and close the window.

Darwine is now ready to run some windows applications!

Try a windows application

For my first application, I attempted to run the AutoCad 2002 installer. The results were excellent, the installer popped up, and installation was a breeze. Everything is running great, and I am really impressed by how well Darwine is handling this program.

For those who don't know how to run windows applications, its as simple as double-clicking the .exe file.

This guide is a mash up of about two hours of reading and finding various solutions to problems I had. I hope this guide helps other struggling Mac users! I am no Darwine expert, but I would be happy to try and help other Mac users with their installations.
Michael Reich

Post by Michael Reich »

Does any of this work in OSX 10.4.11?

On 2/8/09 [email protected] wrote:
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 08:48:02 -0600
Subject: [Wine] Helpful Hints for OS X Users (Idiots Guide?)
To: [email protected]
Message-ID: <[email protected]>

Hello,

I have been busy working away at getting Darwine to run on OS X with no luck... I tried uninstalling and reinstalling many times, but I was continually getting gdi32.dll errors.

This guide was tested on OS X Leopard 1.5.6. The following guide is how I set it up. The steps may vary slightly for you. Be sure to read this whole thread before actually trying some of the things listed here, some of them might not apply to your situation.

Remove Darwine

First, if you have already tried to get Darwine running on your own, but had difficulty or error messages, remove it and start from scratch. Go to your applications folder and delete the folder entitled Darwine. If you installed Trix, delete it as well. Next, you will need to remove a hidden folder in your user folder. There is a complicated way to do this, and there is my easy way. Go to your Applications folder, open the Utilities folder and launch Terminal.

The following command will allow you to see hidden files and folders from finder.

Code:
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

Copy and paste that command into the terminal and press enter. It will appear that nothing has happened.

Next click on the Apple in the top left of your screen and click "Force Quit..." When the window opens, click Finder and then click the relaunch button. This just restarted Finder to allow that command to take effect.

Go to your User Folder. This can be found by opening Macintosh HD, and clicking your Home Folder. Locate the folder ".wine" and delete it.

Now to restore Finder to its original state, run this command, and restart Finder again.

Code:
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles NO

You have just removed Darwine!

Install XQuartz 2.3.2

You will need to download XQuartz 2.3.2 from this URL:

http://static.macosforge.org/xquartz/do ... .3.2.1.dmg

When the download completes, mount the image by double-clicking it. Launch the installer, and follow the instructions. If any choices arise, leave all default selections.

XQuartz is now installed.

(Re)Install Darwine

Download the latest stable release of Darwine from this URL:

http://darwine.good-day.net/Darwine-x86-1.0.1.dmg

When the download completes, mount the image by double-clicking it. A window will open. Drag the Darwine folder to the Applications folder, and if you like, copy Trix as well. (I copied it, but never configured/used it.)

Darwine is now installed.

Prepare Darwine to Run

This step may seem silly, but this was the key to making everything work for me.

Before trying to launch Darwine by calling a windows application, we need to launch Darwine on its own. Go to your Applications folder, open the Darwine folder and launch Darwine. From the Menu at the top of the screen, click WineHelper and then click Configure Wine. The computer will appear to crash, but it is running a process in the background. Simply leave it for about a minute, maybe two.

Don't change any settings, just click save, and close the window.

Click on the WineHelper button again, and this time click on Preferences. Don't change any values, and close the window.

Darwine is now ready to run some windows applications!

Try a windows application

For my first application, I attempted to run the AutoCad 2002 installer. The results were excellent, the installer popped up, and installation was a breeze. Everything is running great, and I am really impressed by how well Darwine is handling this program.

For those who don't know how to run windows applications, its as simple as double-clicking the .exe file.

This guide is a mash up of about two hours of reading and finding various solutions to problems I had. I hope this guide helps other struggling Mac users! I am no Darwine expert, but I would be happy to try and help other Mac users with their installations.
computerwiz_222

Post by computerwiz_222 »

I would assume... Tiger doesn't come with X11 installed from factory, but this doesn't really matter because you install XQuartz anyways...

If this guide doesn't work for you, then you may want to try installing X11 off the Tiger DVD before following through with the guide...

Are you on an Intel Machine?
James McKenzie

Post by James McKenzie »

computerwiz_222 wrote:
I would assume... Tiger doesn't come with X11 installed from factory, but this doesn't really matter because you install XQuartz anyways...

If this guide doesn't work for you, then you may want to try installing X11 off the Tiger DVD before following through with the guide...

Computerwiz_222:

Please install X11 from the Tiger DVD BEFORE installing XQuartz 2.3.2.
Mike and I both recommend it and this is critical so that his Wine for
MacOSX (formerly known as Darwine) builds will run.

Also, I have found that some of the symbolic links that are required for
Mike's builds to run are not present and he assumes that you have not
installed either Fink nor MacPorts. If you have installed either, you
will have to add a line to his wine file that points to their
installation directories BEFORE his internal library files.

Since I use Fink which uses a special directory structure, you will have
to add:

export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/sw/lib:/Applications/Darwine/Wine.bundle/Contents/lib

to the exports portion of the script before it calls mwine.

BTW, I just built 1.1.14 with his build environment. I could not get
libgphoto2 to build so I commented it out.

James McKenzie
James McKenzie

Post by James McKenzie »

Michael Reich wrote:
Does any of this work in OSX 10.4.11?
Yes, but you will have to install X11 from your Tiger DVD before
installing XQuartz 2.3.2. There are critical library files that must be
copied first.

Also, Mike's Wine for MacOSX builds will only work on INTEL based platforms.

James McKenzie
Michael Reich

Post by Michael Reich »

Yes, I'm on a Macbook w/10.4.11 and already have X11 installed. I have
Wine running, but it's a very old version (wine-0.9.53). I have seen
XQuartz mentioned but don't really understand what it is/does that's
different from X11.

Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 12:02:38 -0600
Subject: [Wine] Re: Helpful Hints for OS X Users (Idiots Guide?)

James McKenzie

Post by James McKenzie »

Michael Reich wrote:

Please bottom post and also send to the list.
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 12:02:38 -0600
Subject: [Wine] Re: Helpful Hints for OS X Users (Idiots Guide?)

I would assume... Tiger doesn't come with X11 installed from factory,
but this doesn't really matter because you install XQuartz anyways...
If this guide doesn't work for you, then you may want to try
installing X11 off the Tiger DVD before following through with the
guide...

Yes, I'm on a Macbook w/10.4.11 and already have X11 installed. I
have Wine running, but it's a very old version (wine-0.9.53). I have
seen XQuartz mentioned but don't really understand what it is/does
that's different from X11.

The XQuartz team is assisting Apple with the modifications needed to get
X11 to function properly with MacOSX. Apple's version is very broken,
for example the OpenGL functions only go to OpenGL 1.2 and most gaming
software needs functions from OpenGL 1.3.

I would review what is available on the XQuartz web page and if it
applies to Tiger BEFORE installing it. From what I remember, it can be
installed on 10.4.11, but this may not be true any longer.

James McKenzie
rwoodsmall
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rwoodsmall »

Anyone had any luck with the new 2.4.0 beta Xquartz code? I had a semi-functional Wine 1.1.15+OpenGL with a slightly hacked dlls/winex11.drv/opengl.c file - it wasn't enough to get DirectX working but gltest.exe (http://freewebs.com/mannymax/cpp/GLtest.html) and wglgears.exe (http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~jeffery/win32/) were working fine.

The new 2.4.0 beta software is supposed to have more up-to-date GLX code, but even my admittedly small changes no longer work. Using 1.1.15 compiled from source, I'm getting X errors on startup. OpenGL fails to initialize somewhere in the opengl32.dll/gdi32.dll/winex11.drv stack. With WINEDEBUG set to the appropriate OpenGL options, the last thing I see is "trace:wgl:wglGetProcAddress func: 'wglGetIntegerv'" - a snippet of WINEDEBUG=+all is below:

0009:trace:module:LdrGetDllHandle L"winex11.drv" -> 0x65560000 (load path L"C:\\Program Files\\gltest;.;C:\\windows\\system32;C:\\windows\\system;C:\\windows;C:\\windows\\system32;C:\\windows")
0009:Ret  KERNEL32.GetModuleHandleA() retval=65560000 ret=64779a16
0009:Call KERNEL32.GetModuleHandleA(6478f7a0 "gdi32.dll") ret=64779a2a
0009:trace:module:LdrGetDllHandle L"gdi32.dll" -> 0x64950000 (load path L"C:\\Program Files\\gltest;.;C:\\windows\\system32;C:\\windows\\system;C:\\windows;C:\\windows\\system32;C:\\windows")
0009:Ret  KERNEL32.GetModuleHandleA() retval=64950000 ret=64779a2a
0009:Call KERNEL32.GetProcAddress(65560000,6478f7e8 "wine_tsx11_lock") ret=64779aac
0009:Ret  KERNEL32.GetProcAddress() retval=655c9b1b ret=64779aac
0009:Call KERNEL32.GetProcAddress(65560000,6478f7f8 "wine_tsx11_unlock") ret=64779ace
0009:Ret  KERNEL32.GetProcAddress() retval=655c9b4e ret=64779ace
0009:Call KERNEL32.GetProcAddress(64950000,6478f80a "wglGetProcAddress") ret=64779af0
0009:Ret  KERNEL32.GetProcAddress() retval=64954bf0 ret=64779af0
0009:Call gdi32.wglGetProcAddress(6478f81c "wglGetIntegerv") ret=64779b10
0009:trace:wgl:wglGetProcAddress func: 'wglGetIntegerv'
0009:trace:heap:RtlAllocateHeap (0x110000,00000002,00000010): returning 0x141c28
0009:trace:heap:RtlAllocateHeap (0x110000,00000002,00000158): returning 0x141c40
0009:trace:gdi:GetStockObject returning 0x60
0009:err:x11drv:error_handler X protocol error: serial=201, request_code=0 - breaking into debugger
0009:trace:seh:raise_exception code=80000003 flags=0 addr=0x7b82a4af ip=0x7b82a4b0 tid=0009
0009:trace:seh:raise_exception  eax=655675e1 ebx=655c9845 ecx=0032f520 edx=00000046 esi=618fd028 edi=0032f5c0
0009:trace:seh:raise_exception  ebp=0032f508 esp=0032f500 cs=0017 ds=001f es=001f fs=1007 gs=0037 flags=00000206
0009:trace:seh:call_stack_handlers calling handler at 0x7bc3ded8 code=80000003 flags=0
0009:trace:seh:__regs_RtlUnwind code=80000003 flags=2
0009:trace:seh:__regs_RtlUnwind calling handler at 0x7bc2d210 code=80000003 flags=2
0009:trace:seh:__regs_RtlUnwind handler at 0x7bc2d210 returned 1
0009:exception in PE entry point (proc=0x64779dc8,module=0x64710000,reason=PROCESS_ATTACH,res=0x1)
0009:Ret  PE DLL (proc=0x64779dc8,module=0x64710000 L"opengl32.dll",reason=PROCESS_ATTACH,res=0x1) retval=1
0009:warn:module:process_attach Initialization of L"opengl32.dll" failed
0009:trace:module:process_attach (L"opengl32.dll",0x1) - END
0009:trace:module:process_attach (L"GLTest.exe",0x1) - END
0009:err:module:attach_process_dlls "opengl32.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
0009:err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\gltest\\GLTest.exe" failed, status 80000003
0009: terminate_process( handle=ffffffff, exit_code=-2147483645 )
0009: terminate_process() = 0 { self=1 }
0009: *killed* exit_code=-2147483645
0008: *process killed*
0018: *wakeup* signaled=0
0018:trace:heap:RtlAllocateHeap (0x110000,00000002,00000100): returning 0x1456b8
0018: get_message( flags=04ff0001, get_win=00000000, get_first=00000000, get_last=ffffffff, hw_id=00000000, wake_mask=00000040, changed_mask=000004ff )
0018: get_message() = 0 { win=00010020, msg=00000010, wparam=00000000, lparam=00000000, type=6, time=00001f31, active_hooks=80000000, total=0, data={} }
I'm still looking through code, trying to figure out where it's broken - it looks like nothing ever makes it out of gdi32.dll to the actual X11 driver. I'm not sure if this is a failure in Apple's new GLX implementation or somewhere else, but if anyone has looked at this or figured out the issue, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

-ryan
James Mckenzie

Post by James Mckenzie »

rwoodsmall <[email protected]> wrote on Feb 25:
Anyone had any luck with the new 2.4.0 beta Xquartz code? I had a semi-functional Wine 1.1.15+OpenGL with a slightly hacked dlls/winex11.drv/opengl.c file - it wasn't enough to get DirectX working but gltest.exe (http://freewebs.com/mannymax/cpp/GLtest.html) and wglgears.exe (http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~jeffery/win32/) were working fine.

The new 2.4.0 beta software is supposed to have more up-to-date GLX code, but even my admittedly small changes no longer work. Using 1.1.15 compiled from source, I'm getting X errors on startup. OpenGL fails to initialize somewhere in the opengl32.dll/gdi32.dll/winex11.drv stack. With WINEDEBUG set to the appropriate OpenGL options, the last thing I see is "trace:wgl:wglGetProcAddress func: 'wglGetIntegerv'" - a snippet of WINEDEBUG=+all is below:
Report this to the XQuartz team, please. Please advise that you are using vanilla Wine code as well. This will make them aware that the fixes they propose to implement OpenGL code is not working properly. This is what beta's are for, to test and discover what will and what will not work.

James McKenzie
James McKenzie

Post by James McKenzie »

rwoodsmall wrote:

Please check the XQuartz site. There are updates to this release.

James McKenzie
rwoodsmall
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rwoodsmall »

There are not updates to the 2.4.0 beta releases - this is an entirely new beta release in the 2.3 series. The main difference is that the 2.4 series was planned to use the Xorg 1.6 server, whereas the 2.3 series will use Xorg server v1.4.

The current plan from the Xquartz folks is to continue work on the 2.3 series, integrating OpenGL/GLX changes from the work they were doing on the Xorg 1.6 server. The 1.6 stuff hasn't been reached an acceptable level of stability, so they're moving back to work on the previous version.

I'm aware that this is beta code. I'm simply trying to isolate where in the OpenGL stack the problem lies.

-ryan
James McKenzie

Post by James McKenzie »

rwoodsmall wrote:
There are not updates to the 2.4.0 beta releases - this is an entirely new beta release in the 2.3 series. The main difference is that the 2.4 series was planned to use the Xorg 1.6 server, whereas the 2.3 series will use Xorg server v1.4.

The current plan from the Xquartz folks is to continue work on the 2.3 series, integrating OpenGL/GLX changes from the work they were doing on the Xorg 1.6 server. The 1.6 stuff hasn't been reached an acceptable level of stability, so they're moving back to work on the previous version.

I'm aware that this is beta code. I'm simply trying to isolate where in the OpenGL stack the problem lies.
I understand your concern. However, until Xorg 1.6 becomes a reality
and is released by the XQuartz folks, there will be little, if any,
activity to fix things that are broken by it.

However, my first piece of advice should be followed, let the XQuartz
folks know that Xorg 1.6 broke Wine for the Mac. They are concerned
about breakages of any program that runs on X11.

James McKenzie