Preparing To Build Version 9.0

Questions about Wine on Linux
invisible kid
Level 5
Level 5

Preparing To Build Version 9.0

Post by invisible kid »

The notes for wine version 9.0 say "The Vulkan driver supports up to version 1.3.272 of the Vulkan spec." Does that mean a vulkan version up to and including 1.3.272 is okay? Or does it mean a vulkan version 1.3.272 or later is needed. It reads like it means the first way, but usually projects will mean it in the second way. Just making sure before I plunge ahead. Better to get the best version of vulkan first and move forward from there. Current available versions of vulkansdk back to my current version are:
I currently have 1.3.250.1 installed, maybe that is a fine version. Thanks for any help/tips, I'm excited to get version 9 built!

Also, I guess there are still wine-staging scripts to run against the version 9 branch? I think that is needed to run battle.net.
invisible kid
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Preparing To Build Version 9.0

Post by invisible kid »

I think I'll try wine-staging 9.6 to use with battle.net. I'll forge ahead with that if my vulkansdk version is okay.
invisible kid
Level 5
Level 5

Post by invisible kid »

Was able to get it built, here is what I had to do in case it helps someone else:

1. Extract wine tarball
2. Extract wine-staging zip
3. Enter wine-staging, apply scripts to wine directory
4. ./configure wine, but add mingw-w64 and mingw-w32 locations to $PATH first
5. Edit top-directory Makefile, add -std=gnu99 to i386_CFLAGS and x86_64_CFLAGS.
6. Edit libs/vkd3d/libs/vkd3d-shader/dxil.c, change "static const uint64_t ALLOCA_ALIGNMENT_MASK = ALLOCA_FLAG_IN_ALLOCA - 1;" to "static const uint64_t ALLOCA_ALIGNMENT_MASK = 0x1f;"
7. make. It took about an hour on my machine.
8. Save previous ~/.wine folder if necessary
9. make install as root, but add mingw-w64 and mingw-w32 locations to $PATH first
10. winecfg and install anything as directed

As always I had to reinstall classic Diablo II, could not just copy it over. And for battle.net it was complaining about a windows secondary logon service on install, so I just copied my previous version over and that worked.
jury
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jury »

invisible kid wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:40 pm As always I had to reinstall classic Diablo II, could not just copy it over.
Weird. I have installed classic Diablo 2 about 2-3 distributions ago, and I always just copy it over to new distro and it works like a charm.
invisible kid
Level 5
Level 5

Post by invisible kid »

Yep! Correct sir. It's because I use the glide wrapper, and every time I would go to launch it manually after copying it over I would forget to use the -3dfx switch(I use a launch alias with it in there), and it won't open at all nowadays in my setup without the glide wrapper and -3dfx. I just realized this yesterday, and remembered to add it this time when I manually launched and realized I didn't need to reinstall every time! But installation goes real smoothly these days, so it wasn't a big hassle. Thanks!
invisible kid
Level 5
Level 5

Post by invisible kid »

So I guess vkd3d-winehq is included in the wine source now? I had a previous standalone library already installed and it doesn't seem to look for it. It used to say something during configure if it couldn't find it. I even hid the standalone vkd3d-winehq library and it didn't complain. I tried setting the environment variables to force it, but they had no effect. Is there any way to confirm or test dx12(I know about winetricks dxvk and dx11)? I know Diablo IV's and World of Warcraft's dx12 won't work out of the box. Diablo IV says no GPUs found and I can only get Wow to work with winetricks dxvk and dx11. Wow used to work with the standalone vkd3d-winehq libraray I think. Also, I guess if wine does build a winehq version of vkd3d it is very very bare bones as compared to the proton version? It's unfortunate because vkd3d-proton is very very hard to build, especially for a "configure, make, make install" type of guy. I wish wine would claw back any improvements made in the proton fork, but you guys can only do so much.

I guess lutris is still the way to go for dx12 gaming on linux. Wish I could be a wine-only guy. Maybe someone can help me build vkd3d-proton. Sorry for the wall of text.