Running .exe permanently ?

Questions about Wine on Linux
JohnnyApex

Running .exe permanently ?

Post by JohnnyApex »

Hi,

first of all im absolute beginner in the game of linux. I helped myself through google till this point i cant find a solution.

Im using a WIndows Desktop myself.
My intention was to install a hosted Ubuntu server to run a script permanently via an .exe file. This script accesses another game server and queries data there. In the future I wanted to run a game server on the root where the script runs, but those are future thoughts. I'm basically testing the function first.

I know that it is possible from old forum entries of the game (live for speed) that this so-called "InSim" (the Script) works on Linux systems.

Quote out of the Gameforum in 2008 or so:
..PS: it works (Airio is running at the same machine as the lfs server). I installed mono with this three commands:

zypper addrepo http://ftp.novell.com/pub/mono/download ... nSUSE_11.1 mono-stable
zypper refresh --repo mono-stable
zypper dist-upgrade --repo mono-stable
And then i start airio with: "mono Airio.exe" and BOOM it works of course with the command !pr .
Thank you very much EQ Worry."

After some back and forth testing and installing many things to work on my Ubuntu Server. (20.04) i tried wine to execute the file. First it didn't work. Than i tried sumo, i failed too. Then I happened to try something else that I found on google.com, then suddenly it worked with the following start command:

Code: Select all

wine start /unix "/usr/airio/Airio.exe"
So im using MobaXterm to connect per SSH to my root, after using the code above the Script pops up in the ms command prompt.

So the good thing, its working! Running, with 100% functionality...but as i close my SSH client it seems that wine closes the application cause the InSim disconnects from the Gameserver.

Originally it was planned differently, it was supposed to run permanently, otherwise the function of an external server is pointless.

I think its because of the GUI overlay of Wine? I need some help please :)

have a nice day!
XP100
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Running .exe permanently ?

Post by XP100 »

You need a terminal multiplexer like screen or Tmux. It allows you to detach from the session and continue running processes in the background. When you re-login via SSH, you can re-attach the session.