MSIServer won't start, and any apps won't recognize it.

Questions about Wine on Linux
interval

MSIServer won't start, and any apps won't recognize it.

Post by interval »

Hello, I was in the need to install .NET Framework 4.6, because 4.8 knows I'm not on windows. I was going through the installation process, when it hung at the same point every time. Trying something, I installed the .NET Framework repair tool, which ran some commands and just didn't work. Notably, it ran msiexec, and after that point, any time I tried to run "net start MSIServer" from wine cmd, it just throws a "Could not get handle to service" error. Any time I try to run "msiexec /y", it just brings up the help dialog. The main thing I'm trying to do is to get MSIServer back in working condition.
interval

Re: MSIServer won't start, and any apps won't recognize it.

Post by interval »

Great news, I re-ran the .NET Framework repair tool, and it got MSISever working. Worse news, I’m not away from the hanging issue. For reference, it hangs on “Downloading netfx_Full.mzz”.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

are you doing all this manually? afaik it's (highly) recommended to use winetricks to install the various .net versions, and preferably in a fresh WINEPREFIX. (up to version 4.8 anyway, i don't know about anything later)
interval

Post by interval »

spoon0042 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:06 pm are you doing all this manually? afaik it's (highly) recommended to use winetricks to install the various .net versions, and preferably in a fresh WINEPREFIX. (up to version 4.8 anyway, i don't know about anything later)
Currently installing it, it’s going really well.
I don’t know why I didn’t try Winetricks.