Virtualdub2 no longer works on Wine

Questions about Wine on Linux
GAPStar88
Level 1
Level 1

Virtualdub2 no longer works on Wine

Post by GAPStar88 »

I have a Chromebook with Linux Virtual Environment that features Debian 12/'Bookworm' as its distro. Up until fairly recently, I was able to use a program called Virtualdub2 with little to no problems. It wasn't until I updated to Wine 9.0 that I started to notice some errors such the videos flickering and not being able to stop the video from playing. I am not sure if it is Wine or current setup but something is wrong.

I tried to uninstall and reinstall my Linux Environment but I still got the same results. I tried downgrading Wine 8.0 but it messes it up even more and I am not if actually downgraded it. The only time the program works is if I use Crossover but I cannot afford the full version of it. Can anyone help me figure out what is going on?
GAPStar88
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Virtualdub2 no longer works on Wine

Post by GAPStar88 »

I ended up downgrading my version of Wine using the methods suggested here and it seemed to work. I still have some problems with scrolling if I switch from a different OS other than Vista. It worked better than before as it seemed like VirtualDub2 does like Wine 9. Wine 8 seemed to be the most compatible with VirtualDub2.
w-user
Level 2
Level 2

Post by w-user »

Since switching to linux after a while I started using vd2 only for direct stream copy tasks because multi-thread / -cpu doesn't seem to work with wine - at least avidemux works way faster on my system for trans-/encoding jobs. After I got used to it, I stopped missing vd2 that much. That's why I can't really speak to compatibility of vd2 with different wine versions, as for the things I'm doing with it I didn't have any problems, really. There was a longer period after I switched from pulseaudio to pipewire (on the linux side of things, of course) that it took a long time after loading a file that it was playable in vd2. Eventually that got solved by some pipewire update (I think), which was a nice and welcomed surprise.

Now, I'm not on Debian and use linux on bare metal, so, that might play a role. Also, the codecs (audio and video) installed are probably different.

Is there any task that you would pin down as a good marker to decide if the problems you encounter are present or not?
You mentioned playing files. Any specific codecs, containers, resolutions that made problems vs. others? Some (short) yt video would be good - to have the same file to test.
GAPStar88
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GAPStar88 »

w-user wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:56 amIs there any task that you would pin down as a good marker to decide if the problems you encounter are present or not?You mentioned playing files. Any specific codecs, containers, resolutions that made problems vs. others? Some (short) yt video would be good - to have the same file to test.
I used to have trouble playing the videos without having the videos going black and normal. I also had trouble scrolling and stopping the videos without having to close the whole program.
w-user
Level 2
Level 2

Post by w-user »

I don't experience no such issues with VD2 on wine v9.3 (or any version since around v5.x). So, I won't be able to (help) pin down the reason or narrow down the circumstances that lead to the issues you experience. Sorry.
Maybe some .NET package is missing?
Also, VMs often behave a little different than "the real thing".
GAPStar88
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GAPStar88 »

w-user wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:45 am I don't experience no such issues with VD2 on wine v9.3 (or any version since around v5.x). So, I won't be able to (help) pin down the reason or narrow down the circumstances that lead to the issues you experience. Sorry.
Maybe some .NET package is missing?
Also, VMs often behave a little different than "the real thing".
I guess it could be my VM that is acting up. Chrome OS Linux is a "real" Linux and if what you say is true, it could be something else. I did have to downgrade my version of Wine to make it work but it is still not perfect. I think I will try what you had suggested and see if I get a different result. I think it might be something deeper with Linux XM or even Chrome OS.