XG5000 4.76 doesn't work, can't create a new project

Questions about Wine on Linux
Neurosis8687

XG5000 4.76 doesn't work, can't create a new project

Post by Neurosis8687 »

Hi, a new Linux and Wine user here, I have installed Wine to run XG5000 which is an app that allows for programming PLCs (programmable logic controllers) and running PLC simulations, anyway I have looked in the FAQ and the still WIP user guide and I have come to the conclusion that the issue might be either a DLL or some permissions but I'm still a Linux and wine noob so I'm here asking for the help of you guys the much more experienced

Here is my current set-up
  • Linux Mint Xfce 21.3
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-2670QM
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M
  • GPU driver: Proprietary
  • Wine: 9.0 (stable)
I haven't used Winetricks nor any DLL overrides, the only changes I have made were changing the Windows version for this app (XP and 8 as the app user manual states that the app supports XP, Vista, 7, and 8 although it works perfectly on a windows 10 machine as I have tried and seen)

Wine installation method: the latest Ubuntu/LM package from the wineHQ website following the instructions provided there, the installation process was completed smoothly with no issues at all

How I tried to install XG5000:
  1. Downloaded the latest version (4.76) of the official website https://ssq.ls-electric.com/ww/en/product/document/3103
  • Double click on it
  • A pop-up message from Wine stating that the app needs some additional things to work (was it mono? I don't remember)
  • selected yes, wine downloaded the required files then installed them successfully
  • The XG5000 installer opened (or maybe I needed to double-click on it again)
everything went smoothly until a certain point in the installation process where I got this error message:
XG5000 installer error message.png
XG5000 installer error message.png (11.9 KiB) Viewed 1158 times
The installation process was completed despite this error message.

Then I attempted to open the app using the icon on the desktop, 2nd error message
XG5000 empty error message.png
XG5000 empty error message.png (3.63 KiB) Viewed 1158 times
and this time it was empty, clicked okay then a 3rd one
XG5000 error message.png
XG5000 error message.png (6.61 KiB) Viewed 1158 times
this time it wasn't empty also clicked okay then the same 2 error messages kept popping up 3 more times then after that the app opened in window mode, everything looked fine until I attempted to switch the app to full screen, this is the only graphical issue that I have faced though it is not that big of a deal because when I close the app while leaving it in full-screen mode then open it again it will open in full screen without any graphical issues (unless I tried to resize the window/switch to window mode...) I guess switching to the OS GPU drivers would fix this issue.

At this point the app looked functional until I tried to create a new project, another error message but the project creation window still opened though it was broken as I wasn't able to select or create anything

I checked the files that these error messages complained about and they are present, and attempted to open the database files using libre office but I got an error message stating that the file is corrupted and can't be repaired.

At some point, the app had some kind of bug and created an empty project on its own! I quickly saved the logs and then closed the app.

At this point, I attempted to launch the app from the CLI so I could get some logs from Wine, wine, and Linux veterans who might be able to interpret all these lines and get an idea as to what the root cause of the issue is.

I tried changing the Windows version of the app and it didn't do a thing

Uninstalling the program:

In the end, I attempted to uninstall the app but the uninstaller seemed frozen, and by looking at the logs it may be a DLL problem. so I terminated the process from the task manager, the uninstallation process didn't seem successful at first but after multiple attempts and system restarts the app disappeared from the wine installed apps list but there were some remnants left in the c partition and in the program files folder which I manually deleted and yet there is still one app related to the main one that still in the installed apps list in 'wine uninstaller' and refuses to uninstall

I tried installing an older version of XG5000, but that was a bad idea as it didn't even install, lol.

The end
I can't attach more than 3 files so here are all the screenshots that I have taken, I really would love to be able to use this app without the need for a VM.

https://drive.proton.me/urls/7QE0A5NBF0#yuYnfO3PJD0M

And for the logs here are 2 on paste bin (available with the screenshots too in a .html file to maintain the text formatting and most importantly I haven't read the forum rules at that point otherwise I would have followed the stated method for capturing the terminal logs, I'm hoping they are the same as just running '$ wine XG5000.exe')
https://pastebin.com/9aTNLaEu

https://pastebin.com/qrhLjLhQ

So what do you think? What are your suggestions? What can I do?
Is there anything else I should have included in this post but didn't?