Gedstar Pro, Fedora 39, "Error opening database"

Questions about Wine on Linux
ibdave
Level 1
Level 1

Gedstar Pro, Fedora 39, "Error opening database"

Post by ibdave »

I used to have a different userid on this forum but forgot what it was and this userid was returned for my email address. Sorry for the confusion.

I run an Acer Chromebook with the firmware replaced via mrchromebox, booting and running from a MicroSD card. Up until a little over a week ago I had been running Linux Mint for years. With Mint, I had fantastic help here from Bob Wya and spoon42 several years ago now. I have found those threads via an internet search but not by the search in the wine linux forum - perhaps they have aged out.

I am currently running Fedora 39 with a special kernel so that the sound now works for the first time since I went from ChromeOS to the replacement firmware and linux. With that I've had to install wine from the Fedora links on winehq instead of the ubuntu links. I am running the mate desktop.

I am back to an old problem with the genealogy conversion program Gedstar Pro as I originally had with wine and mint several years ago. The error comes from the program and says "Error opening database".

Thanks to the expert help provided by those mention previously, I was able to have this running via the ubuntu links, a couple of things from winetricks and an override in winecfg. Originally I had to keep using (I believe) the devel "version" of wine for ubuntu but a few years ago whatever the reason for that was moved into the stable path and everything has continued to work. I have done those same steps and overrides as before but now in Fedora 39 wine I get the error again.

Any information would be gladly provided as any help at all is greatly appreciated. After all this time, I am still very much a novice user.
ibdave
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Gedstar Pro, Fedora 39, "Error opening database"

Post by ibdave »

Well, sorry! It DOES work. My old man eyes took a LONG time to find that when referencing the WINEARCH the entire time I was creating the prefix, running winecfg, running winetricks and running the program I had inadvertingly typed a lower case "h" at the end instead of a capital "H" so it created and tried to run in a 64-bit prefix - which it can't. Once I corrected that and reran everything as 32-bit it works fine.