wine processes are not exiting after logoff

Questions about Wine on Linux
spinykipod

wine processes are not exiting after logoff

Post by spinykipod »

Hello. When I quit using wine and log off, i keep seeing wine processes in htop (from a different tty). I can kill every with default SIGTERM signal, but winedevice.exe is resistant to it (and it runs consuming a tiny fraction of cpu soemtimes), and I have to kill -9 it. How to make wine cleanly quit when i exit the game? The wine version is wine-9.0-rc3 (Staging), but I recall the issue existed in previous versions too.
spinykipod

Re: wine processes are not exiting after logoff

Post by spinykipod »

I have noticed that it happens exclusively when i log off very quickly after shutting down the game. If i want 2-3 seconds, all the wine processes exit cleanly. Otherwise, they stay up indefinitely.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: wine processes are not exiting after logoff

Post by jkfloris »

That's right. By default, the wineserver remains active for 3 seconds after the last program is terminated.

From the wineserver manpage:
-p[n], --persistent[=n]

Specify the wineserver persistence delay, i.e. the amount of time that the server will keep running when all client processes have terminated. This avoids the cost of shutting down and starting again when programs are launched in quick succession. The timeout n is in seconds, the default value is 3 seconds. If n is not specified, the server stays around forever.