Program not working after 8.16 (Could not open database)

Questions about Wine on Linux
joshwinehq

Program not working after 8.16 (Could not open database)

Post by joshwinehq »

Good day

I'm using a non-mainstream geological program, Rockworks 2023. I'm hoping my issue is broadly similar to other problems. The problem started after the upgrade from 8.16 to 8.17, so something changed from there.

The program, Rockworks, uses a SQLite database which is managed by the program. Everything worked fine on Ubuntu 23.04 and 23.10 up until and including winehq-devel/lunar,now 8.16~lunar-1 amd64.

Since then any newer version, I have tried 8.17, 8.18, 8.19, 8.20 and 8.21, returns an error such that the program won't run.

The program returns an "Error: Could not open the database.: Failed to Save Steam".

I reached out to the Rockworks program developers (who only support windows installations) and they said the following:
"The error: Failed to Save Stream. The error lies with the Project Notes being told to save its info to a data stream.

The only thing I came up with is the control we are using for the Project Notes wraps a Windows control for working with Rich Text (RTF) and since he is running on a Linux OS (Ubuntu distribution) there may not a control that can handle the Rich Text the same way as on Windows."

I installed Winetricks and messed around trying to find RTF installations but without luck. Any help would be appreciated as I'm worried at some time I'll no longer be able to hold back the wine updates or the operating system.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Program not working after 8.16 (Could not open database)

Post by jkfloris »

Can you reproduce this problem with the trial version of RockWorks 2023 in a clean Wine 9.0-rc1 prefix? I just get a "not implemented" screen at startup and the help function does not work. I do not get any notification about the database.

Code: Select all

# Create a clean Wineprefix:
WINEPREFIX=~/Wine-RockWorks wineboot

# Download and install RockWorks 2023:
cd ~/Wine-RockWorks/drive_c/
wget https://www.rockware.com/downloads/software/rockworks/rockworks20_installation.exe
WINEPREFIX=~/Wine-RockWorks wine rockworks20_installation.exe

# Run RockWorks 2023:
cd "${HOME}/Wine-RockWorks/drive_c/Program Files/RockWare/RockWorks20"
WINEPREFIX=~/Wine-RockWorks wine RockWorks20.exe
joshwinehq

Post by joshwinehq »

Although I'm not really sure what you mean by "clean Wine 9.0-rc1 prefix", I made a new 64-bit prefix using Winetricks and installed from double clicking the installation file from the folder. I still got to the same point. If you hit "enter" on the Not Implemented button (often rather than using a mouse click) then it progresses to the same database error.
joshwinehq

Post by joshwinehq »

Sorry, after replying it occurred to me Wine 9.0 is likely a new version, so I upgraded and updated and am now running:
Ubuntu 23.10, winehq-devel 9.0~rc2~mantic and Rockworks202310.31 (the only difference from earlier being the wine version).
All is working again!
The issue was with wine versions 8.17 to 8.21 which don't work with Rockworks and generate the database/stream error.
Don't know what the difference is but all is well again.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

It looks like this program was also affected by bug 55833. I'am glad, it works again.
joshwinehq

Post by joshwinehq »

Had a quick look at 55833, a bit above my pay grade but pleased it's been sorted. Thanks for all the efforts.