Radeon 530 and Wine

Questions about Wine on Linux
Wolfgang.Klein
Level 2
Level 2

Radeon 530 and Wine

Post by Wolfgang.Klein »

Hello,

I found an old Radeon 530, which I might install into a machine running Ubuntu Jammy.

Which driver / kernel module would you recommend to activate for this card: "amdgpu" or the older one called "radeon"?

Which one is more reliable and maybe more powerful to work when playing games with Wine?

Thanks in advance!
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Radeon 530 and Wine

Post by jkfloris »

Not really a Wine question. :D
The GPU is new enough for the open source "amdgpu" drivers. Try those first since they are the best supported.
Wolfgang.Klein
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Wolfgang.Klein »

jkfloris wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:09 pm Not really a Wine question.
On the contrary! I am on the search for a video card that will cause the least problems when running games with Wine. Not all graphic chips support Linux well enough, not all cards provide enough memory and calculation power. Doing office work is one thing, even the cheapest cards can do this, and so can the newest high end cards, that are more expensive than my rent. But when you want to play games, especially Windows games running with the help of Wine, you need a card that is neither too old nor too new, that will be usable as a framebuffer device only.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

Wine is just a conduit in this case. In fact, how well the video card works depends on how well the drivers work under Linux, but that makes no difference whether you are running a game under Wine or playing a Linux game.

You are right that older GPUs often work well under Linux because the drivers are completely "finished", but they are not powerful enough to play modern games. And that with new GPUs, the drivers are not yet good enough. The latter is often only a problem with Nvidia cards. AMD follows open source standards, so it works.

Again, this is a Linux problem, not something specific to Wine.