how to guide

Questions about Wine on Linux
imakeyper

how to guide

Post by imakeyper »

I just started using Linux as my OS. I'm green about most things about it but I'm learning.

My question is when I see find a random game website via my Firefox browser and it wants me to install the game in order to play it what do I do? I just need a clear-cut manual telling me what steps to take. When that game says DOWNLOAD, what next? If not a manual any instructions would be great!
Thank you!
I don't have windows installed, just WINE and WINE TRICKS.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: how to guide

Post by jkfloris »

In an ideal world, you can download the game and open it with a double click. While this works in some cases, it usually takes a little more work.

After downloading the file, open a terminal window.
First, go to the folder where the file is located. Usually this is the Downloads directory.

Code: Select all

cd ~/Downloads
Then install the game with Wine. In this example, I use setup.exe as the name, but it may be different for you.

wine setup.exe
The first time, a screen will appear informing you that your Wine configuration is being created. Then the installation begins. This is the same as on Windows.

Once the installation is successful, you can start the game. This can be done with the shortcut that was probably created.

Or you can do this manually.

Find out where the game is installed. This is usually in a directory in "Program Files".
On your computer, you can find this directory at the following location: "~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files"

If you know where the game is installed, go to that location in the terminal window.
(Use the [Tab] key to autocomplete the names)

cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Game/
And start the game

wine game.exe