key strokes

Questions about Wine on Linux
vhradice
Level 1
Level 1

key strokes

Post by vhradice »

I am playing a game called Civilization and I am having a problem with keyboard entry not always passed through to the game. I use the number pad arrows to move the icons in the game. Some times all works fine. Sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't work I will test what is happening. I open a text editor (Kate) and try to type. Nothing shows up in the window. If I shut down the game and wine file, all starts working again. Mouse clicks work always. It is not the keyboard as Kate works.

I am running wine 8.19. Fedora fc38.

It is really aggravating that sometimes it work great but other times it hangs keyboard input to other applications.
vhradice
Level 1
Level 1

Re: key strokes

Post by vhradice »

Is wine intercepting all key strokes?
Is there a way to control what keys wine will process?
vhradice
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vhradice »

I am running wine-staging 8.19 . This is a testing version. How do I install a non-testing version of wine-staging?
vhradice
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vhradice »

I tried installing winehq-staging but could not get it to run after I installed it. I then tried winehq-stable. It is giving me the same problem. I am beginning to wonder if it could be the game intercepting the keystrokes and flushing them. Then why are other programs (like kate) running not getting the keys? I have had the entire system hang - even the mouse wouldn't work. I was able to ctrl-alt-F2 open another session and cancelled the game. The system came back to life. Anyone any ideas?
vhradice
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vhradice »

I think that wine is intercepting the keystrokes. I bring up wine configuration and in the display tab I click emulate a virtual desktop. If I try to change the resolution, the keyboard input is never accepted. This does not sound like it has never been reported as a problem. Could there be some kind of problem with Fedora handing the data to wine?