LMDE6 (Debian 12) Need to install an older Wine Version, but how?

Questions about Wine on Linux
Slider0815

LMDE6 (Debian 12) Need to install an older Wine Version, but how?

Post by Slider0815 »

Hello,

I had Linux Mint 21.1 installed and it's Respository contained Wine 6.0.3, which I then installed.

I'm using only few Windows-Programs and all of them are Windows portable versions. All of them, including Audio player Foobar2000 worked well under this condition.

Now I have installed the new Linux Mint Debian Edition 6 - LMDE6 'Faye' - (which is Debian 12 Bookworm based) and it ships with Wine 8.0. It didn't work as expected with Foobar2000, so I re-installed LMDE and then installed Wine as instructed on its download website. Now Wine 8.0.2 is installed.

Yet the issue with Wine 8 is that Foobar2000 (Version 1.6.16 - 32-Bit) can't properly read in the music library anymore (approx. 25000 Songs in Flac Format). It stalls - each try at a different point - reading the files. It's ending in a frozen state and requires me to end the task forcefully. There are no more other programs active at the time. System has 8 G of memory and an older AMD A-8 CPU.

I would like to try Wine 6.0.3 under LMDE6 (hoping that would work).

How can I sucessfully install Wine 6.0.3 in LMDE6 (Debian 12)? I'm gratefully looking for a step-by-step assistance...

Thanks in advance for help!
Manfred
qwertymnb
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LMDE6 (Debian 12) Need to install an older Wine Version, but how?

Post by qwertymnb »

I always use the kron4ek builds to test programs in older releases: https://github.com/Kron4ek/Wine-Builds/releases/tag/6.0

As stated on the rellease page: Extract to any directory and run applications using the path to the Wine binary. For example:

/home/username/wine-7.0-amd64/bin/wine application.exe

So you don't have to install it, just extract, and throw it away if don't need it anymore
Slider0815

Post by Slider0815 »

Thank you very much! I will try this on the weekend.
Slider0815

Post by Slider0815 »

@qwertymnb:

I followed the instructions and with the Wine 8 Infrastructure installed your suggested Build works perfectly. Foobar2000 now reads in the entire Music Library, even rather quickly.

I really appreciate your hint, it solved my problem!