Adding to environment variable for windows program?

Questions about Wine on Linux
bloodripelives

Adding to environment variable for windows program?

Post by bloodripelives »

I'm trying to run a piece of software (intel quartus lite) that requires a license file for certain functionality. I got the license, and in order to use it, I need to add the location of the license file to the Windows System Environment Variable. In Windows, adding that includes giving the new variable both a name and a file path; then, the software looks for the variable with that name when it is checking for the license.

Is there a way I can do this? I tried just adding the filepath to the PATH variable, but that didn't work, and I wasn't sure if there was a way to give the filepath a name. Would that even work inside of a program running on wine, which is searching the drive_c directory that wine creates as a c: drive? Or is there some other way I can add an environment variable into wine?

Thank you!
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Adding to environment variable for windows program?

Post by jkfloris »

You can add a "regular" environment variable with:

Code: Select all

TEST_VAR='C:\test' wine program.exe
# Example:
PATH_VAR='C:\test' wine cmd /c set
     OS=Windows_NT
     PATH=C:\windows\system32;C:\windows;C:\windows\system32\wbem;C:\windows\system32\WindowsPowershell\v1.0
-->  PATH_VAR=C:\test
     PATHEXT=.com;.exe;.bat;.cmd;.vbs;.vbe;.js;.jse;.wsf;.wsh
To modify the PATH variable, use:

Code: Select all

WINEPATH='C:\test' wine program.exe
# Example:
WINEPATH='C:\test' wine cmd /c set
     OS=Windows_NT
-->  PATH=C:\test;C:\windows\system32;C:\windows;C:\windows\system32\wbem;C:\windows\system32\WindowsPowershell\v1.0
     PATHEXT=.com;.exe;.bat;.cmd;.vbs;.vbe;.js;.jse;.wsf;.wsh