Wine 3 on Ubuntu 22

Questions about Wine on Linux
asmith
Level 2
Level 2

Wine 3 on Ubuntu 22

Post by asmith »

Hello,

I have been running Wine3 on VPS server Ubuntu 18.04 to run my personal app which has been working flawlessly for years. I've upgraded to Ubuntu 22.04 and Wine8 now my app is giving me timeouts. (it's basically an image processing exe app, I pass it a file and it generates the processed version. In Wine3 it takes 1 second to process, but now it goes on forever)

Downgraded to Wine 7, no changes. Uninstalled WineHQ and installed default Wine on Ubuntu which was Wine 6. Still no success. Now I'm just curious, can I downgrade even more on Ubuntu 22.04? I'd like to test Wine3 in Ubuntu 22.04 to see if I get it to work or the problem originates from entirely something else.

So is it possible to setup Wine3 on Ubuntu 22.04?
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Wine 3 on Ubuntu 22

Post by jkfloris »

Wine 3 depends on older libraries that are no longer available for Ubuntu 22.04. So officially this is not possible.
But you can always try:
- Download an older Wine version from PlayOnLinux.
- Extract the tar.gz archive
- cd into the bin directory
- Run the program with:

Code: Select all

WINEPREFIX=~/wine-test ./wine start /unix /path/to/program.exe
Please note: This is not supported. You are on your own.
asmith
Level 2
Level 2

Post by asmith »

Thanks for the help.

I think I figured it out. I downloaded the VPS image and set it up into a VM so that I could see what's happening. The app is giving me a confirmation dialog and awaits for my action (hence the timeout). I gotta check why it wasn't giving the dialog on Wine3.
dejawitting

Post by dejawitting »

I believe I have found the answer. To investigate, I grabbed a copy of the VPS image and installed it in a virtual machine. There's a timeout since the program is now displaying a confirmation window and waiting for me to respond. The dialogue wasn't shown in Wine3, so I need to investigate why.