Wine issue with hybride amd/nvidia gpu

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
pikasoo

Wine issue with hybride amd/nvidia gpu

Post by pikasoo »

Hi,
Im using wine 8.15 staging with vulkan driver video-hybrid-amd-nvidia-prime on Manjaro (arch linux)

I noticed that if install this driver wine will hang at boot. the process explorer.exe /desktop will high cpu and lock any other activities for wine. killing it will return a windows creation error and will exit wine

this happen with any app, even winecfg

if i remove the nvidia_icd.json file from the vulkan icd.d folder, then wine start fine but is unable to use the discrete nvidia gpu.

I saw a few post about this but usually ended unanswered or closed without solution. I saw a bug report on bugzilla and its status is closed so maybe i got a different issue?
anyway since most were reported back in 2019 i was hoping a solution was found for this issue since...

I would guess that wine try to use the discrete nvidia gpu for rendering windows and other 2d gfx, witch it's unable to do.

Thx for your time
pikasoo

Re: Wine issue with hybride amd/nvidia gpu

Post by pikasoo »

Doing some testing and debugging, this line in the xrandr.c file of the winex11.drv never return for the Nvidia GPU

vr = pvkGetRandROutputDisplayEXT( vk_physical_devices[device_idx], gdi_display,
provider_info->outputs[output_idx], &vk_display );

not sure exactly how to fix this for now. the system has 2 physicals device, first is nvidia second is amd, the amd one work fine. so i don't know if it's a vulkan issue or some extra validation needed in the code there...