Halo 2/Project Cartographer does not use discrete GPU

Questions about Wine on Linux
Chaussettes

Halo 2/Project Cartographer does not use discrete GPU

Post by Chaussettes »

I've been fighting with an issue with getting Halo 2 Project Cartographer working without crashing for a few days. From what I can gather, the game does not seem to be using my GPU for rendering and instead uses my CPU. Raising the resolution anywhere above 800x600 causes an immediate crash anytime you try loading into the game. This game has worked fine with wine a dozen times in the past and I'm not sure what's wrong here. I have had the game working with this machine in the past where it did use this GPU. Some specifics:

Distro: Debian 12.1 Bookworm
Wine Ver: 8.0
CPU: Pentium Dual-Core E5300
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 635
Memory: 4.00 GiB
NVIDIA Driver Ver: 470.199.02

winetricks dll's installed: d3dx9 mfc40 mfc42 vcrun2013 wmp9
As far as I know these are required to run the game. I have tried installing the game in both a 32 and 64-bit wineprefix and the same result occurs.

Attached are some screenshots of errors I see pop up when running the game. The `WARNING: Video Device not found` line had me thinking wine was not seeing my GPU at all, but the below screenshot from a winedebug log shows me that wine does actually see my GPU, so I'm not sure what could be the issue here. Attached is also a winedebug log file. I have a winedebug log file, but it's 71 megabytes and the max size for attachments here is 256 KiB.
ImageImage

Any help would be very appreciated as I have done everything I know how to do as a semi tech-literate person. Thank you.