wine windows program loader for wine-devel

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
shag00
Level 2
Level 2

wine windows program loader for wine-devel

Post by shag00 »

I have just fresh installed Kubuntu 23.04 and the latest wine-devel but ran into a couple of hickups afterwards. Wine seems to work and accepts commands like, WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine winecfg and WINEPREFIX=~/.wine winetricks and some programs work. What does not work however are commands like, wine --version and more importantly the windows program loader accessed via right click on an .exe file.

I have looked at prior posts regarding this, viewtopic.php?p=120047#p120047 and the suggested links. In fact back in 2021 I posted that the link solves the problem. I also may have at the time been using wine-stable, now I have switched over to devel none of the files in that link exist anymore. Can someone help me out with a replacement link command for wine-devel please or another method to restore the lost functionality described above.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: wine windows program loader for wine-devel

Post by jkfloris »

If you are using the WineHQ devel packages, the wine.desktop file is in /opt/wine-devel/share/applications.
What does not work however are commands like, wine --version
Did you install the winehq-devel package?
Or use the full path:

Code: Select all

/opt/wine-devel/bin/wine --version
shag00
Level 2
Level 2

Re: wine windows program loader for wine-devel

Post by shag00 »

I installed from https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

A little further investigation showed that the initial install did not work properly in that a number of things did not install including the entire 32 bit part of wine and a couple of 64 bit files. Now that those components have been installed everything appears to be working as expected, thanks for your assistance.