How to properly run a game under wine?

Questions about Wine on Linux
SignorCastello

How to properly run a game under wine?

Post by SignorCastello »

Hi!
I'm new at the wine world, so please don't be harsh at me...
And sorry for the bad english... I use Zorin Os with the wine version wine-6.0.3.
When I try to run a game it exits with the error:
0054:err:ntoskrnl:ZwLoadDriver failed to create driver L"\\Registry\\Machine\\System\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\nsiproxy": c0000135
00bc:err:module:import_dll Library vccorlib140_app.DLL (which is needed by L"game") not found
00bc:err:module:import_dll Library MSVCP140_APP.dll (which is needed by L"game") not found
00bc:err:module:import_dll Library VCRUNTIME140_APP.dll (which is needed by L"game") not found
0090:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
0090:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow The explorer process failed to start.
0090:err:ole:apartment_createwindowifneeded CreateWindow failed with error 0
00bc:err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Importing dlls for L"game" failed, status c0000135
I've removed the game name because this happens with quite a few games.
The game should run well on linux, as I've read... What to do?
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: How to properly run a game under wine?

Post by jkfloris »

I use Zorin Os with the wine version wine-6.0.3.
Version 6.0.3 of Wine is already a year old. And since Wine's development is going very fast, you should update Wine to version 8.0.1

Since Zorin OS is Ubuntu-based, you can probably install the WineHQ Ubuntu packages.
- Find your "Ubuntu" distro name:

Code: Select all

grep CODENAME /etc/os-release
Probably there is a line with: UBUNTU_CODENAME=xxxxx

- Follow the instructions on the wiki to add the correct WineHQ repository. And install your new Wine version.
00bc:err:module:import_dll Library vccorlib140_app.DLL (which is needed by L"game") not found
00bc:err:module:import_dll Library MSVCP140_APP.dll (which is needed by L"game") not found
00bc:err:module:import_dll Library VCRUNTIME140_APP.dll (which is needed by L"game") not found
If the update didn't help, you can use winetricks to download and install the Visual C++ redistributable.

Code: Select all

sudo apt install winetricks
sudo winetricks --self-update
winetricks -q vcrun2022
0090:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
0090:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow The explorer process failed to start.
These error messages are still a concern, but I hope that the installation of the new Wine version will also correct these errors.