Installing Microsoft spelling support

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
ennoborg

Installing Microsoft spelling support

Post by ennoborg »

Hello all,

Yesterday, I installed a new version of RootsMagic (9.0) on Wine 7.0.1. I don't run it on 8.0, because there are graphics issues with that.

When I start this new RootsMagic, I see 5 pop-ups saying "fspell not valid", and on the RootsMagic forum, I learned that the new version makes use of the native Windows spelling support, which does not seem to be available in Wine. And when I search for any files with 'fspell' in their names inside my Windows folder, there aren't any in Wine, but there are some in real Windows 10 and 11. These files are named MTFSpellcheckDS.dll, and when I search for spell instead, I find more DLL's and also an EXE named MsSpellCheckingHost.exe. And neither of these files exist inside my .wine folder.

Since these files do exist in my real Windows, it's quite likely that there is some sort of installer for those, but I can't find that myself. Googling for the DLL name leads me to all sorts of shady sites, where you can download all sorts of DLL's, but I don't need those, because I have them in my official Windows installations. What I'm looking for is an installer, just like the many installers that are downloaded by winetricks for fonts, GDI+, and other official Windows components.

Is there a strategy to find those installers? Does anyone know where to find the official installer for Windows spelling support?
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Installing Microsoft spelling support

Post by jkfloris »

On startup, RootsMagic searches for {7AB36653-1796-484B-BDFA-E74F1DB7C1DC}. This is the Microsoft Spell Checker Factory Class. This feature came into Windows with Internet Explorer 10. Unfortunately, it isn't possible to install Internet Explorer 10 (or 11) in Wine.
sargenthp

Re: Installing Microsoft spelling support

Post by sargenthp »

@ennoborg... Do you lose focus in textboxes? Everytime I attempt to fill in a textbox, the cursor blinks in the textbox and immediately disappears. Makes it impossible to type anything.