Can't run lnk file. Terminal error message says ShellExecuteEx failed due to missing file..

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
WRAkh4tvc

Can't run lnk file. Terminal error message says ShellExecuteEx failed due to missing file..

Post by WRAkh4tvc »

Linux Mint 21.1
Wine 6.0.3, installed from Mint's app rep.

Back story:
I've got a game, Deus Ex Game Of The Year edition, from Steam that I've installed a mod for, GMDX, which has it's own "executable" that I have to run to run the game and the mod together.

It is a lnk file, that I have opened through Steam (but not under Proton as that cannot be enabled for games added by the user) as just running it with Wine wouldn't work (probably for piracy measures, if I had to guess) and now after going from Mint version 20 to 21, it has stopped working and running the file without Steam as a Wine Application on Terminal shows this message:

Code: Select all

0054:err:ntoskrnl:ZwLoadDriver failed to create driver L"\\Registry\\Machine\\System\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\nsiproxy": c0000003
(Translation from Finnish) Couldn't start program as it doesn't exist, or there aren't any attached programs to that file.
(Translation from Finnish) ShellExecuteEx failed: Couldn't find file.
Running it on Steam causes it to close before anything can even appear on the screen.

I have no idea what to do or if I'm even doing the right thing (like executing it through the Terminal or through Steam). Quick search has led me to some people who say Wine doesn't even support lnk files.

I know about the C drive directory Wine creates. But the file I'm running is in Steam's game directory which is on the normal Linux file system (I don't even know correct words to describe my problems :( )

Also, as I mentioned that this happened after the Mint update, I would post it on their forums. But they seem to have their servers under maintenance, or some other problem.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Can't run lnk file. Terminal error message says ShellExecuteEx failed due to missing file..

Post by jkfloris »

Quick search has led me to some people who say Wine doesn't even support lnk files.
You can run shortcuts in Wine with wine start

Code: Select all

# For example
wine start "Program.lnk"
WRAkh4tvc

Re: Can't run lnk file. Terminal error message says ShellExecuteEx failed due to missing file..

Post by WRAkh4tvc »

No, that doesn't work sadly.
But I did find out how to fix it. I just reinstalled Wine, and the game now works! :) Sadly I still cannot add it to Steam, then it gives a error popup about "No attached program" and many "Missing file" errors afterwards.

Also I thought my post was not approved, I couldn't find it on my profile here...

I don't even see a way to edit the post to write a [Solved] at the beginning, if editing posts is supported here.
Last edited by WRAkh4tvc on Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.