Installation of Nextion Editor on Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS

Questions about Wine on Linux
michallohnisky

Installation of Nextion Editor on Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS

Post by michallohnisky »

wine-8.0-rc4 (Staging)

I tried to install the Nextion Editor using these steps: viewtopic.php?p=128808#p128808 .

Application starts fine, but when I interact with the application (click on "New" or something), I got an error. It is (randomly) one of these:
  • System.InvalidOperationException: BufferedGraphicsContext cannot be disposed of because a buffer operation is currently in progress.
  • System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid. at System.Drawing.Graphics.get_SmoothingMode()
I also tried it in Docker container and get similar functionality, with similar errors:
  • System.OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
  • System.InvalidOperationException: BufferedGraphicsContext cannot be disposed of because a buffer operation is currently in progress.
Here https://stackoverflow.com/a/58132/4837606 I read about the "BufferedGraphicsContext" error and it can be something with memory, but I have a few GB RAM free, so it should be fine.

What I tried next:

I also read "Requirements" in https://nextion.tech/editor_guide/ and https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=37793 and installed "vcrun2015 corefonts riched30". But nothing changed.

Do you have any advice what to try next?
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Installation of Nextion Editor on Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS

Post by jkfloris »

Could you try the program in a clean 32-bit wineprefix with only dotnet35?

During the installation of wmp11, other components are installed as well. I suspect that something is going wrong in newer Wine versions with one of the components.
michallohnisky

Post by michallohnisky »

I tried:

Code: Select all

WINEPREFIX=~/.nextion WINEARCH=win32 winetricks -q dotnet35
WINEPREFIX=~/.nextion wine nextion-setup-v1-65-1.exe
and it works now. Many thanks. But I got an alert that I need to install the wmp for full functionality:
Screenshot from 2023-03-11 04-22-11.png
. So I tried again:

WINEPREFIX=~/.nextion WINEARCH=win32 winetricks -q wmp11
but the Nextion Editor is broken again. Is there other possibility to install the wmp?
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

(No idea if this really works, but the program seems to work normally.)

You can fool Winetricks:
- Install dotnet35

WINEPREFIX=~/.nextion WINEARCH=win32 winetricks -q dotnet35
In the root of the wineprefix is a winetricks.log file. This file contains all the components installed by Winetricks
- Add "wsh57" and "gdiplus" to the end of the file:

cd ~/.nextion
echo -e "wsh57\ngdiplus" >> winetricks.log
Now Winetricks 'thinks' those components are already installed.

- Install wmp11

WINEPREFIX=~/.nextion WINEARCH=win32 winetricks -q wmp11
michallohnisky

Post by michallohnisky »

Nice trick :-), but it does not work for me :-( . I tried it in an existing wine prefix with Nextion Editor already installed and also in a fresh new wine prefix before installation of the Nextion Editor. In both cases I got this after program starts:
Screenshot from 2023-03-13 03-08-28.png
and after a while:
Screenshot from 2023-03-13 03-08-33.png
I tried "Wait" several times, but nothing changed.

Strange is, that you said, that the program works normally in your case. I don't know, what can be the difference between our setups.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

I think the Wine version makes the difference. When I install and run the program with Wine stable 8.0 or Wine devel 8.3 the program does not crash with wmp11 installed. With Wine staging 8.3 I also get the same messages.