Nebula Assertion error

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
ChrysoliteAzalea
Level 1
Level 1

Nebula Assertion error

Post by ChrysoliteAzalea »

Hello everyone! I am trying to run a game on the Nebula2 engine (specifically, Pet Vet 3D Animal Hospital: Down Under) on Wine, and I get this error on game start (the game actually starts, but crashes when I attempt to walk anywhere). I've found that this error is related to the Nebula2 engine issue: this is the source of the part that seems to cause the issue (specifically, it seems to be the WinMM part that is causing the problem, link1 link2). I wonder, what can I do to work around this problem? Can it be related to WinMM implementation in Wine?
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (10.46 KiB) Viewed 16720 times
P.S. The similar problem arises with Pet Vet 3D Wild Animal Hospital, but Pet Vet 3D Animal Hospital runs completely fine.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Nebula Assertion error

Post by jkfloris »

I wonder, what can I do to work around this problem? Can it be related to WinMM implementation in Wine?
I think you are right, and something is going wrong in winmm.dll.
You can probably work around the problem by dropping the Windows 98 version of winmm.dll and mmsystem.dll into the same folder as the exe. And run the game with:

Code: Select all

WINEDLLOVERRIDES="winmm,mmsystem=n" wine "Wild Animal Hospital.exe"
ChrysoliteAzalea
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you! It worked! Now, Wild Animal Hospital runs fine.

However, there is still a problem with "Down Under" -- when I accept a patient, it crashes with unhandled exception "Privileged instruction in 32-bit mode". This bug seems to have been already reported, and related to msvcrt. I'll try use native msvcrt instead of built-in, and post about the results. Anyway, thank you!
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Is there a free demo for a program having this issue? After all, that is just a workaround, and a fix in Wine would be nice.
ChrysoliteAzalea
Level 1
Level 1

You can look for Pet Vet 3D Wild Animal Hospital in Steam and try running it in Proton or Wine and then try to figure out why Wine requires a workaround.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

I'd prefer having a free demo to test with, since I don't want to buy it just for that.