Freemake progress but not all the way

Questions about Wine on Linux
JosephA

Freemake progress but not all the way

Post by JosephA »

Was trying to install the Freemake Video Converter software but the install complained and errored-out. Saw there were a couple of bug tickets regarding this issue and someone was able to write a patch for the bug. Problem there is, I don't know how to implement it so I came up with my own workaround.

According to the notes in the tickets (thanks go out to those who posted traces), the problem has to do with the return code from findstr.exe. The install expects code 1 but is given code 0. The general steps around this are as folllows:

* Create a new document named "findstr.bat" (without the quotes)
* Edit the bat file which will contain only one line: "exit 1" (no quotes and that's a numerical one)
* Rename /home/UserName/.wine/drive_c/windows/syswow64/findstr.exe (c:\windows\syswow64\findstr.exe) to findstr.tmp
* Copy your bat file to the same directory above
* Run the Freemake installation which should now complete
* Rename findstr.tmp back to findstr.exe and delete the bat file

Now for the bad news, it installed but doesn't run. You'll get the splash screen for several seconds then nothing. I'd run a trace but have no idea how so that leaves me one step closer to.....a cigarette break. Maybe someone can see what's going on at this point.

Cheers,
Joseph
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Freemake progress but not all the way

Post by jkfloris »

I installed the program slightly differently:

Code: Select all

WINEDLLOVERRIDES=findstr.exe=d wine FreemakeVideoConverterSetup.exe
This ensures that findstr.exe can't be used at all, so the installation will also succeed.

The .Net Framework is required to run the program itself.

Code: Select all

winetricks -q dotnet40
Unfortunately, the program crashes when I want to convert a video.