Logos Bible Software

Questions about Wine on Linux
elwood4415

Logos Bible Software

Post by elwood4415 »

I have Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon installed and earlier today added Wine. I used the installation directions shown on the Wine HQ website and selected the stable version that was associated with Mint 21.1. All seemed to install without issue. I then attempted to install Logos Bible Software by downloading version 10, right-clicking on LogosSetup.exe and selecting Open with Wine Program Loader. I get an error message saying "Logos Bible Software requires Windows to be fully updated. Please install system updates." I had previously checked and Logos is in the Silver compatibility category. I am uncertain where to go next. I did a search of these forums in an attempt to find direction, but without success. I should say that I am relatively new to Linux Mint and brand new to Wine. Basic questions or instructions would be appreciated.
--
Elwood
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Logos Bible Software

Post by jkfloris »

By default, the Windows version of Wine is set to Windows 7.
You can change the version to Windows 10 with winecfg.
In a terminal window:

Code: Select all

winecfg
elwood4415

Post by elwood4415 »

Thank you very much for your assistance. By selecting Windows 10, I was able to install Logos 9. It went through the setup process and indicated that it had installed. When I attempt to open it, however, the splash screen flashed on and then disappeared, and nothing else happened. I also tried installing Logos 10. When I attempt to open it, the splash screen comes on and stays on and still nothing happens.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

According to the AppDB, Logos 9 and 10 are two completely different versions.

Apparently, Logos 10 is easier to install. For this version you only need to set the renderer to gdi
The easiest way to do this is with the winetricks application.

Logos 9 also requires the installation of Microsoft's .Net 4.8.
elwood4415

Post by elwood4415 »

Thank you again for your assistance. I have installed Winetricks and used it to set the "renderer to gdi" or at least that is what I selected in Winetricks to be set. A terminal window popped up and showed that it had been set. I installed Logos 10, it seemed to install properly. But the app still stalls at the splash screen. Sorry to be a pain, but if anyone has any other suggestions I would welcome them.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

:oops: Oops, I missed one thing. I read on the AppDB that you need wine-staging. This is a version of Wine that includes all kinds of experimental components.

This version will replace your existing Wine version.
Follow the installation steps on the Wiki and install wine-staging with:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install winehq-staging
elwood4415

Post by elwood4415 »

You are being very helpful and I appreciate it. I re had read over the pages in the AppDB, but didn't understand them. For instance, at the time, I didn't realize what 7.18-Staging meant. But, I still have a question: should I uninstall my existing version of Wine before installing staging? I googled this question as well as looked at the WineHQ FAQs, but the answers coming back tend to be more related to having multiple versions side-by-side.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

You can choose it yourself.
If you install the winehq-staging package, then other wine packages are automatically uninstalled. After all, only one package can refer to the wine command. As you have read, there are also ways to install multiple versions of wine side by side, but often this is not necessary.