Right-click context menu from applications installed in Wine

Questions about Wine on Linux
NM64
Level 1
Level 1

Right-click context menu from applications installed in Wine

Post by NM64 »

This is basically a copy of the following previously-locked thread (albeit with the word "on" in the title replaced with "in"):
However, my use-case is very different. The following short Linux Mint forum thread and short Gtkhash github issue can get you up to speed on my issue:
The tl;dr is that, from what I can tell, there is no native Linux software that can create .sfv and .sha1 checksum files that hashes and includes the contents of folders and subfolders in the way that a slew of Windows software does, the easiest of which I found to be HashCheck Shell Extension which seems to "just work" in WINE 7.x for reading and verifying existing .sfv and .sha1 files

...the problem then is that, it can't actually create said files because, even on Windows, the primary way to create checksums is via the right-click context menu.

Now it does have a second way to create checksums, but that's through the right-click -> properties dialog where it adds a "Checksums" tab - something that is also not supported in WINE even by WINE's own explorer.exe (heck I even tried running ReactOS's explorer.exe, but both the "old" and current versions do not seem to really launch correctly, at least on my installation of Mint 20.3 Xfce)

(it's also worth noting my recent discovery that, despite HashCheckShell Extention only being single threaded, it's also much faster even on Windows when writing the final hash file of hashing tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of files compared to a competing multi-threaded Windows hashing application)
NM64
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Right-click context menu from applications installed in Wine

Post by NM64 »

Does this forum allow bumping? It's been a month with no reply...
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

(As long as it stays within limits, you can bring your post to the attention.)
I think the reason there has been no response (yet) is that there is no real solution at the moment.
A bug report already exists about missing shell extensions. And unfortunately I couldn't find an other way to get the program fully working.
What works is checking files:

Code: Select all

wine rundll32.exe "C:\windows\system32\ShellExt\HashCheck.dll",HashVerify_RunDLL checksum_file
and the options menu:

Code: Select all

wine rundll32.exe "C:\windows\system32\ShellExt\HashCheck.dll",ShowOptions_RunDLLW
But I can't find a way to create the checksum files either.
NM64
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NM64 »

This might be a slight grave-dig, but I just wanted to mention that I discovered an updated fork that also works on Wine (though, for some reason, it removed MD4 support even on Windows? Which is a bit annoying since I have some older checksum files in MD4 format since it was the fastest on my CPU at the time...)
Now, of course, it still has the same issue of only being able to read existing checksum files and not being able to create them.

While I'm here, I would like to elaborate some on the performance I described in my opening post. Historically, I've found that HashCheck Shell Extension can hash around 400GB of files in around 30 minutes or so on my 4.6GHz Haswell system. By comparison, there's another hashing program that can actually create checksums even through Wine but, even though this other program is multi-threaded (one hash per CPU thread), it is much slower - on my dual core system, it took a teeny bit over 5 hours to hash that very same 400GB of files.

(now, in theory, on a modern CPU with 8cores/16threads or more, this other multithreaded hashing program might be able to match the performance of HashCheck Shell Extension, but HashCheck Shell Extension is achieving that performance with a measly 1 CPU thread)