MS OneNote 2010 Error: Won't start due to missing "Desktop Experience" feature

Questions about Wine on Linux
diagumun

MS OneNote 2010 Error: Won't start due to missing "Desktop Experience" feature

Post by diagumun »

Hello everyone!
Greetings from Colombia and I wish you all well and that this new year will be successful for everyone.

I am just joining this active and collaborative community of this successful project, hoping to find help to solve the problem of the issue. I will now put the situation in context:

I am a Linux enthusiast, and I have just decided to migrate to this OS, with the particularity that it is not possible for me to completely let go of Windows, especially because of some Office productivity applications, as is the case of OneNote.

I have installed Linux Mint on my Dell Latitude laptop as a replacement for Windows, the features of the operating system in question are:

Architecture: 32 bits
Distro: LMDE 5 Elsie
Cinnamon: 5.6.5
Kernel: 5.10.0-20-686
Base: Debian 11.2 bullseye

Wine version installed is: wine-stable-i386 (7.0.1~bullseye-1)

The particular situation is as follows:
I have installed MS Office 2010, on the recommendation of several Wine project users who have so posted, and I have been trying for over a week to get it to work as I need it to and it still doesn't. Excel, Word and PowerPoint, work acceptably but not OneNote, when I want to start the application it throws the following error:
OneNote cannot start because the Desktop Experience feature is not installed. Install it in the Windows Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off.
I reference some of the links I have used on this issue:
Microsoft OneNote 2010 https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=23632
Microsoft Office 2010 (32 bit)(installer only) https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... gId=111267

I hope I have been clear with the presentation of the problem and I remain attentive to your valuable contributions.

Thanks in advance! Diagu