I suppose Wine doesn’t honor compatibility layers and fixes ?

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
NovHak

I suppose Wine doesn’t honor compatibility layers and fixes ?

Post by NovHak »

Dear forum readers,

I like to play a game (namely Heroes of Might and Magic III) that’s been looooong known to crash randomly in multi-cpu environments. In the past, I had to start it with an explicit cpu affinity, limiting it to one CPU only (using something like start /affinity 2 Heroes3.exe), but with GOG’s installer applying the Win98 compatibility layer on the game, which implies a one-cpu restriction rule, that wasn’t necessary any more.

However, I recently started playing HoMM3 on Wine on my Linux machine, and experienced a crash. Considering this game never crashed on me in the past, except for multi-cpu reasons, I immediately thought of that… but since I use GOG’s installer, which applies the Win98 compatibility layer, that would mean the compatibility layers are (at least partially) ignored.

Is this the case ?

Not that it’s much of a problem in this very case, since I know how to start HoMM3 w/ CPU affinity on Linux, e.g. taskset 80 wine Heroes3.exe, but I want to make sure that it’s a plausible explanation for the crash.

PS : I didn’t post this in the Linux subforum, because it’s probably not Linux-specific.