Old Windows Help Not Working...

Questions about Wine on Linux
MusicalCoda

Old Windows Help Not Working...

Post by MusicalCoda »

Hi,

It is my understanding that old windows help files are currently supported by wine even though they didn't used to be some years ago... I could be wrong. Mine, however are not working and I can find little to no information on the topic that is helpful in resolving the issue.

I have the latest stable version of Wine 7.0.1. running on Ubuntu 22.04. My windows programs work fine. I can see that both winhlp.exe and winhelp32.exe are where they are supposed to be in my .wine folder's tree structure, yet, when I open any help files from inside my programs I get a new window with a blank screen in it. :shock:

Is it me? Or is there a known bug? No one else seems to be having this issue...
MusicalCoda

Re: Old Windows Help Not Working...

Post by MusicalCoda »

If no one is able to offer any advice on how to fix this problem, would someone at least be able to let me know if I am correct that old windows .chm help files are supposed to work in wine and perhaps let me know if they work for you or not? Although not a solution, that would still be very helpful to me in solving the issue. :)
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Old Windows Help Not Working...

Post by jkfloris »

If I extract the help files (*.chm) from my Windows 98 SE CD they work just fine with Wine 8.0-rc1.

Code: Select all

# The *.chm files are extracted to C:\help
wine hh.exe C:\\help\\msoe.chm
# or
wine start C:\\help\\msoe.chm