Feature Request: Wine Virtual Desktop Fullscreen mode

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
axet
Level 2
Level 2

Feature Request: Wine Virtual Desktop Fullscreen mode

Post by axet »

Hello!

I'd like to have performance improvement in games using wine by adding virtual desktop full screen mode. This would significantly improve performance in games.

The idea is to reduce rendering viewport from default game resolution (lets say 1024x768) to smaller one 800x600 or 640x480 but let GPU scale final image to fullscreen.

Scaling resulting image is very fast and can be done by GPU without any perfomance lose. And it would give you about 30% FPS boost.

I've tested it on games which supports Borderless Fullscreen mode with custom viewport settings - and it give you almost no visual losses but gives you a lot of FPS.

Lets say I have native 1600x1200 resolution on my notebook. And I run game in borderless fullscreen window 800x600. This is would reduce GPU load by double allows you to enable additional shaders and visual effects in the game.

Wine already support virtual desktop, but it missing fullscreen option. Which I guess not hard to implement.
iansorbello

Re: Feature Request: Wine Virtual Desktop Fullscreen mode

Post by iansorbello »

I've seen this solved using xrandr to change the current screen res for the x server before you run an app, then change to your normal resolution when you get back. It seems a pain, but works pretty well. Just google "xrandr wine script" - I've seen a few handy bash scripts that manage this.
axet
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Feature Request: Wine Virtual Desktop Fullscreen mode

Post by axet »

Thanks for sharing it. I know this hack it exists. But it is not working for every game. Since wine report all supported resolutions to the game lower / non standard resolutions can be ignored by game engine. Adding 640x480 resolution can be missing from possible game options in graphics menu due to incompatibility / low resolution. But starting game under Virtual Desktop at 640x480 resolution allows game to start with specified resolution since it is only one resolution. You can try Skyrim to see the effect.