wrong labeling of window control buttons

Questions about Wine on Linux
TCR1963
Level 1
Level 1

wrong labeling of window control buttons

Post by TCR1963 »

I´m using wine 6.3 on a Linux Mint (Ubuntu 22.4) installation. Wine is doing fine, as long as I keep using everything from the original sources...

The only glitch that I have is more or less cosmetic, and concerning the wine windows only: On the top right edge of the app window created by wine, I have the window control buttons labeled wrongly.
Where there should be "X" for closing window I have a rectangular square. And also where there should be the symbols for maximising/minimising window I have either a "1" or a "2" instead.

Not really a big deal as one would know the meaning of the buttons from out of your head, but I wonder what is causing it.

Anyone having spotted the same, and was able to fix it?

Thanks!
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: wrong labeling of window control buttons

Post by jkfloris »

I´m using wine 6.3 on a Linux Mint (Ubuntu 22.4) installation.
I assume the zeros have been lost here and that you are using Wine 6.0.3 on Ubuntu 22.04.
Where there should be "X" for closing window I have a rectangular square. And also where there should be the symbols for maximising/minimising window I have either a "1" or a "2" instead.
This sounds like a font is missing. Did you install the fonts-wine package?
TCR1963
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TCR1963 »

Oh ... stupid me. You are totally right: It is Linux Mint 21 "Vanessa" based on Ubuntu 22.04 jammy tree. With wine 6.0.3 installed from original sources. How I could inhibit all relevant Zeros in the morning remains a mistery to me.

Now, I did not install that package "fonts-wine", but that´s kind of logic to me now. Just did not consider the buttons depending on it (why?).

Will test in the evening and revert with the results, thanks for your advice!
TCR1963
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TCR1963 »

meanwhile was able to install "fonts-wine", unfortunately no change.

I either get:
"0" "1" "rectangular" (from left to right) in the right up corner of a window that is restored, else
"0" "2" "rectangular" on a window that is maximized, or
"2" "1" "rectangular" on a window that is minimized.

The behavior is consistent with all applications I have installed, even with the internal tools of wine. Also it doesn´t change which version of Windows I choose in wincfg to apply.
Something must be wrong here concerning the symbols that will be picked.

Happy to hear further suggestions, many thanks in advance
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=53851
It looks like the fonts from /usr/share/wine/fonts are not being imported properly into Wine.

Are the icons visible if you copy marlett.ttf from
/usr/share/wine/fonts to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/Fonts
TCR1963
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TCR1963 »

This is the issue!
The icons are correctly shown indeed when I copy marlett.ttf to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/Fonts.
So it is a bug in the Ubuntu package of wine, just wonder if I should copy other fonts as well as ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/Fonts was basically empty before, now holding this single font only.

Thank you so much for your help, will read and maybe comment on the bugreport as weel