Wine 7.x on El Capitan (Mac OS 10.11) ?

Questions about Wine on macOS.
zeitgeist
Level 2
Level 2

Wine 7.x on El Capitan (Mac OS 10.11) ?

Post by zeitgeist »

Hi guys,

I'm really struggling here. I've been trying like hell to get a PC program working on my MacBook (late 2008) running OS 10.11.5. First (after installing XQuartz 2.8.2) I tried Wine Stable 5.0 along with Winetricks, then I tried Wine Staging 5.7, both via the Mac installers. I tried dotnet472 and dotnet48. The .exe installer always crashed and I was presented with many "fixme" errors.

Then I decided to try Wine 7.19, downloading and compiling the source files after reading the README carefully, which made no mention of the necessary dependency packages. Compilation took 1.5 hours. After installation I could get nowhere, Wine could not even open notepad and many errors persisted, including "Wine cannot find the FreeType font library" even though it was already installed (version 2.12).

I looked around further on this site and found more detailed instructions for compiling Wine. I removed .wine and .local and started as fresh as possible. Then I installed both sets of the listed dependencies, except for libcapi because MacPorts does not have it. Is CAPI device support absolutely necessary? Making sure to check off all the boxes in the compilation guide I again let my Mac compile Wine, this time taking almost 4 hours (perhaps due to the required packages now being available).

Unfortunately, Wine still does not seem to be functioning. I tried testing notepad.exe again, including the suggested fallback path in the command. Wine created the directory .wine, took a long time, and eventually opened notepad without a window, just a top title bar, 2 in fact (1 short, 1 long), and I cannot close them or quit Wine without Force quitting. The current errors in my terminal are below. I've seen the ones about "MarshalInterface" and "Common-Controls" come up before. I also found that if I try to execute wine wineboot then the FreeType complaints I mentioned reappear so now I've got those again.

002c:fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
0048:fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
0050:fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
0048:err:ole:StdMarshalImpl_MarshalInterface Failed to create ifstub, hr 0x80004002
0048:err:ole:CoMarshalInterface Failed to marshal the interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}, hr 0x80004002
0048:err:ole:apartment_get_local_server_stream Failed: 0x80004002
0048:err:ole:start_rpcss Failed to open RpcSs service
0050:err:ole:StdMarshalImpl_MarshalInterface Failed to create ifstub, hr 0x80004002
0050:err:ole:CoMarshalInterface Failed to marshal the interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}, hr 0x80004002
0050:err:ole:apartment_get_local_server_stream Failed: 0x80004002
0050:fixme:imm:ImeSetActiveContext (00010026, 0): stub
0050:fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (00010020, 00010026): stub
002c:fixme:imm:ImeSetActiveContext (0001004E, 1): stub
002c:fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (0001004C, 0001004E): stub
008c:err:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackW copy error 1812 L"@C:\\windows\\system32\\drivers\\wineusb.sys,-1" -> L"C:\\windows\\inf\\wineusb.inf"
0094:fixme:imm:ImeSetActiveContext (00010086, 1): stub
0094:fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (0001008E, 00010086): stub
0024:err:environ:run_wineboot boot event wait timed out
0024:fixme:imm:ImeSetActiveContext (000100BA, 1): stub
0024:fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (000100B4, 000100BA): stub

Wine cannot find the FreeType font library. To enable Wine to
use TrueType fonts please install a version of FreeType greater than
or equal to 2.0.5.
http://www.freetype.org

Can anyone please help guide me? I seem to be fumbling around in the dark here.
Also, when installing Wine with make install what is the alternative to the Wine application that's added to Applications directory by the traditional installer? Maybe it should be enough to type wine program.exe but right now wine-preloader is not responding.

Thanks for any assistance or hints you can offer.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Wine 7.x on El Capitan (Mac OS 10.11) ?

Post by Gcenx »

zeitgeist wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:25 pm I'm really struggling here. I've been trying like hell to get a PC program working on my MacBook (late 2008) running OS 10.11.5. First (after installing XQuartz 2.8.2) I tried Wine Stable 5.0 along with Winetricks, then I tried Wine Staging 5.7, both via the Mac installers. I tried dotnet472 and dotnet48. The .exe installer always crashed and I was presented with many "fixme" errors.
Usually you'd want to do 'winetricks -q dotnet48' the .Net installers are rather unstable.
zeitgeist wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:25 pm Then I decided to try Wine 7.19, downloading and compiling the source files after reading the README carefully, which made no mention of the necessary dependency packages. Compilation took 1.5 hours. After installation I could get nowhere, Wine could not even open notepad and many errors persisted, including "Wine cannot find the FreeType font library" even though it was already installed (version 2.12).
You'd need to se the following at compile time or wine won't be able to find dylibs in no default locations.

'export LDFLAGS="-Wl,-rpath,/opt/X11/lib"'
zeitgeist wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:25 pm I looked around further on this site and found more detailed instructions for compiling Wine. I removed .wine and .local and started as fresh as possible. Then I installed both sets of the listed dependencies, except for libcapi because MacPorts does not have it. Is CAPI device support absolutely necessary? Making sure to check off all the boxes in the compilation guide I again let my Mac compile Wine, this time taking almost 4 hours (perhaps due to the required packages now being available).
libcapi is a linux only library nothing to worry about.
zeitgeist wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:25 pm Unfortunately, Wine still does not seem to be functioning. I tried testing notepad.exe again, including the suggested fallback path in the command. Wine created the directory .wine, took a long time, and eventually opened notepad without a window, just a top title bar, 2 in fact (1 short, 1 long), and I cannot close them or quit Wine without Force quitting.
I'll assume you've not applied reverts for https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=52354 winemac.drv is currently broken on legacy versions of macOS/OSX

zeitgeist wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:25 pm The current errors in my terminal are below. I've seen the ones about "MarshalInterface" and "Common-Controls" come up before. I also found that if I try to execute wine wineboot then the FreeType complaints I mentioned reappear so now I've got those again.

002c:fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
0048:fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
0050:fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
0048:err:ole:StdMarshalImpl_MarshalInterface Failed to create ifstub, hr 0x80004002
0048:err:ole:CoMarshalInterface Failed to marshal the interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}, hr 0x80004002
0048:err:ole:apartment_get_local_server_stream Failed: 0x80004002
0048:err:ole:start_rpcss Failed to open RpcSs service
0050:err:ole:StdMarshalImpl_MarshalInterface Failed to create ifstub, hr 0x80004002
0050:err:ole:CoMarshalInterface Failed to marshal the interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}, hr 0x80004002
0050:err:ole:apartment_get_local_server_stream Failed: 0x80004002
0050:fixme:imm:ImeSetActiveContext (00010026, 0): stub
0050:fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (00010020, 00010026): stub
002c:fixme:imm:ImeSetActiveContext (0001004E, 1): stub
002c:fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (0001004C, 0001004E): stub
008c:err:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackW copy error 1812 L"@C:\\windows\\system32\\drivers\\wineusb.sys,-1" -> L"C:\\windows\\inf\\wineusb.inf"
0094:fixme:imm:ImeSetActiveContext (00010086, 1): stub
0094:fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (0001008E, 00010086): stub
0024:err:environ:run_wineboot boot event wait timed out
0024:fixme:imm:ImeSetActiveContext (000100BA, 1): stub
0024:fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (000100B4, 000100BA): stub

or equal to 2.0.5.
Did you have mingw-w64 package installed?, the freetype error was explain above.
zeitgeist wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:25 pm Can anyone please help guide me? I seem to be fumbling around in the dark here.
Also, when installing Wine with make install what is the alternative to the Wine application that's added to Applications directory by the traditional installer? Maybe it should be enough to type wine program.exe but right now wine-preloader is not responding.
If wine is built correctly and installed into $PATH simply typing 'wine program.exe' is enough.

I test regularly on macOS 10.14 and an Apple Silicon system (Currently running Monterey), the oldest legacy system I've tested is 10.9 for wine-7.0 and managed to play some old dx9 games without issue.
zeitgeist
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zeitgeist »

Thanks for your reply.

For dotnet I've been trying: ./winetricks -q corefonts dotnet472 ddr=gdi win7
Pauleve, who provided that command, told me .NET 4.8 was unstable too, after I tried installing it with:
env WINEPREFIX=$HOME/winedotnet
./winetricks --force dotnet48 corefonts

Although it seemed to install fine, the .exe installer requiring .NET has still failed repeatedly.
Are the corefonts not necessary?

Per wiki.winehq.org/MacOS/Building I did include: export LDFLAGS="-Wl,-rpath,/opt/X11/lib
and installed mingw-w64 prior to compilation since it was on the list of build-time dependencies.
I also installed cmake as recommended. No idea why Wine still couldn't find what it needed.

When I used the traditional installers for Wine 5.0 and 5.7 there were no FreeType errors. But when I compile and make, something is clearly not right.
Does anything else need to be configured beforehand?
Do I need to use +universal -x11 for build-time dependencies too?
Does the the Wine source directory need to reside in a specific location with a specific name?

Any thoughts about the "dependent assembly" and "Marshal" errors?

You're correct, I did not mess around with winemac.drv at all.

Thanks for any other info you may have in solving this mystery.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

It sounds like your mixing and matching your build environment this isn’t helping.

Code: Select all

export LDFLAGS="-Wl,-rpath,/opt/X11/lib
This line is used when compiling against XQuartz libraries.

If your wanting to build against Macports dependencies you’d instead be setting

export LDFLAGS="-Wl,-rpath,/opt/local/lib

Firstly you need the following packages to be installed

Build dependencies (these don’t need to be universal)

bison \
cctools \
flex \
gettext \
ld64 \
mingw-w64 \
pkgconfig
Runtime libraries (need to be +universal -x11)

freetype \
gnutls \
gstreamer1 \
gstreamer1-gst-plugins-base \
libpcap \
libsdl2 \
openal-soft
With the above packages installed and setting

export LDFLAGS="-Wl,-rpath,/opt/local/lib
Now configure shouldn’t have any issues finding things and should also work correctly at runtime as long as you’ve applied the winemac.drv reverts.

This should result in a functional build of wine.
zeitgeist
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zeitgeist »

If I understand you correctly, I can use XQuartz OR MacPorts but both create a conflict, is that right?

I didn't think XQuartz supplied all the necessary packages. Does it? if it does that would be easier and save time because it installs quickly.

If I need MacPorts (Brew seems incompatible with OS 10.11) then I must use:
export LDFLAGS="-Wl,-rpath,/opt/local/lib" and NOT .../opt/X11/lib
Okay got it.

As for winemac.drv, I am not quite clear on what to do. I followed that link you included but mostly just found lots of comments regarding the bug. Do I need to save the contents of the "Layer hosting patch v2" attachment?

Thanks for your help.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

Yes XQuartz isn’t required if building against Macports provided libraries, the reason to install XQuartz with brew is brew only builds for a single architecture where we’ll require two for wine on macOS Mojave and below.

Yes you’ll need to use export LDFLAGS="-Wl,-rpath,/opt/local/lib"

What you’d want to do is revert some specific commits, here’s patches that need to be applied in order.

Do the following in terminal

cd (wine sources dir)
patch-p1 < (patch here)
https://github.com/Gcenx/macports-wine/ ... tView.diff

https://github.com/Gcenx/macports-wine/ ... ectly.diff

https://github.com/Gcenx/macports-wine/ ... to-vi.diff

https://github.com/Gcenx/macports-wine/ ... windo.diff

https://github.com/Gcenx/macports-wine/ ... views.diff

After these 5 patches are applied winemac.dev will be fully functional on all versions of macOS/OS X, this does cause the loss of layered backends on Mojave and later however that’s why I’ve been against flat reverting.
zeitgeist
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zeitgeist »

Can I use XQuartz instead of the libraries gotten with MacPorts? Or is XQuartz only applicable with the traditional Wine 5.x installers? And if I uninstall XQuartz then will there still be a conflict between /opt/X11 and /opt/local?

Well I'm familiar with common git commands but never had to revert because I never make mistakes (haha, yeah right).

Okay, what am I doing wrong here?
(in wine sources dir)

patch-p1 < https://github.com/Gcenx/macports-wine/blob/main/emulators/wine-devel/files/1001-Revert- winemac.drv-Remove-now-unused-WineContentView.diff
Also tried:

curl -o rm-unused-wcv.diff  https://github.com/Gcenx/macports-wine/blob/main/emulators/wine- devel/files/1001-Revert-winemac.drv-Remove-now-unused-WineContentView.diff
patch-p1 < rm-unused-wcv.diff
Or did you mean I first create an empty patch file with something like:
touch patch-p1.diff ?

And am I creating separate patch files (patch-p2, etc.) for each revert or appending all reverts to one patch file?
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

Sorry that was typed quickly on mobile.

patch -p1 (patch here)
You’d want to have the patch files locally, I’m sure there’s a correct way to apply them directly from a url but I don’t remember and OSX 10.11 system url wouldn’t work anyway.

You’ll first apply the patch starting with 1001 then 1002 etc
zeitgeist
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zeitgeist »

Okay I made the 5 patch files (.diff) with the contents copied from the .diff entries on git.

When I ran patch -p1 < 1001.diff I got:
patching file dlls/winemac.drv/cocoa_window.m
Hunk #1 succeeded at 543 (offset -13 lines).
patch unexpectedly ends in middle of line

patch -p1 < 1002.diff ...
(Hunk #1-6 succeeded)
patching file dlls/winemac.drv/macdrv_cocoa.h
(Hunk #1 succeeded)
patching file dlls/winemac.drv/surface.c
(Hunk #1-5 succeeded)

patch -p1 < 1003.diff ...
(Hunk #1-2 succeeded)

patch -p1 < 1004.diff ...
patching file dlls/winemac.drv/cocoa_window.h
(Hunk #1 succeeded)
(Hunk #1-12 succeeded)

patch -p1 < 1005.diff ...
(Hunk #1-6 succeeded)

Not sure whether "patch unexpectedly ends" is considered a success or not (?).

What about patches 0001, 0002, and 0003? Just want to be sure, those aren't needed? I'll be compiling Wine Stable 7.0 this time.

Really hoping this works.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

I’d think that’s fine it would have said a hunk failed if it failed.

Here’s the explanations for each patch

# https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=34166#c103
patchfiles-append \
    0001-winemac.drv-No-Flicker-patch.diff

# This allows wine to use curl-ca-bundle.crt
patchfiles-append \
    0002-crypt32-expand-cert-search-paths.diff

# CW HACK 18311: Use VK on 64-bit macOS for d3d10/11
patchfiles-append \
    0003-CW-HACK-18311.diff
0002 would require a manual step after it’s applied, this being a Macports style patch.

0003 is specific for WineD3D Vulkan when compiling wine64 against MoltenVK to default WineD3D to use the Vulkan backend.

As long as you’ve setup everything correctly it should build and run correctly.
zeitgeist
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zeitgeist »

1) Flickering would certainly be annoying. Is that bug related to certain Windows programs? Should I apply it just in case?

2) I've seen errors before about "curl-ca-cert" or something like that. What do you think?

Or are these definitely not important here?

3) I don't think the Vulkan patch is relevant, I think I'm okay without that one.

Currently installing packages and all their dependencies. This message came up and I've gotten it many times before. Anything to worry about?

Warning: System headers do not appear to be installed. Most ports should build correctly, but if you experience problems due to a port depending on system headers, please file a ticket at https://trac.macports.org.

Thanks for your replies.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

1) This happens with Intel GPUs on some games.

2) that’s upto you but the patch would need to be altered to have the Macports install path instead of a placeholder.

3) I’d only recently pulled this one in to avoid needing to explain how to enable WineD3D Vulkan.

I’d assume you didn’t install Xcode command line tools if it’s complaining about missing headers, you want to get that installed if it’s missing.

Xcode command line tools will instal headed into /usr/include in macOS High Sierra (Mojave also just one more step) newer versions default to a MacOSX.SDK for this.
zeitgeist
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zeitgeist »

Ran into a problem while trying to install gstreamer1-gst-plugins-base. Its dependency graphene keeps on failing.

Tried deleting the root graphene folder but graphene's setup just recreates it along with many (mostly empty) inner directories and seems to cause its own error.

Looked into this further and found a Trac ticket submitted 2 months ago.
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/65710

Unfortunately until the bug is fixed, graphene cannot be installed, which likely means gstreamer1 (plugins-base) can't be installed since it depends on graphene.
zeitgeist
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zeitgeist »

Re: Command Line Tools, I had 7.3 installed but I guess somehow the receipt got trashed, hence the missing headers message. Just updated to 8.2 before I found confirmation of the graphene bug.

Let me know if you have any ideas for a workaround. Thanks again for your assistance either way.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

For the moment just skip gstreamer
zeitgeist
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zeitgeist »

Hmmm...did you mean gstreamer is not essential? Not sure how to proceed.
zeitgeist
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zeitgeist »

I tried cloning the Graphene repo and building it to install that way but—surprise surprise—that failed too. If it can be compiled in Windows it should be able to compile on Mac/Unix.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

Let's just forget about gstreamer for the moment as technically you can use winetricks verbs for codecs it's preferable to use FOSS implementations when possible.
zeitgeist
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zeitgeist »

Okay, I'm not sure if everything compiled correctly, but Notepad did run after lots of errors were displayed in terminal. First it asked to install Mono (I clicked yes).

Winetricks is not working though. I'm trying to install .NET.
After ./winetricks -q corefonts dotnet472 ddr=gdi win7 I'm getting:

warning: taskset/cpuset not available on your platform!
------------------------------------------------------
warning: WINE is wine, which is neither on the path nor an executable file
------------------------------------------------------

I think Winetricks needs Wineserver to be running, but when I run ./wine wineboot nothing happens or it immediately quits. If I run server/wineserver I get:

wineserver: failed to load l_intl.nls
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

You should have done roughly the following, the source dir needs to be clean so trash and re extract might be in order.

cd <wine sources dir here>
mkdir win32
mkdir win64
cd win64
../configure --enable-win64
make
sudo make install
cd ../win32
../configure
make
sudo make install
Once that's all done you'll have wine, wine64 & wineserver binaries installed into /usr/local/bin meaning its in $PATH
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

Forgot a configure flag for win32

--with-wine64=../win64
zeitgeist
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zeitgeist »

Unfortunately that didn't work. Now I'm getting FreeType errors again.

or equal to 2.0.5.

Maybe Wine is just too buggy/finicky and I should buy a PC.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

Oh yeah I’d forgotten to include the LDFLAGS setting..

It seems I do have a legacy build I’d forgotten about https://github.com/Gcenx/macOS_Wine_bui ... x64.tar.xz

Make sure to remove the quarantine flag and launch directly with launch a terminal session with wine in $PATH

If your main goal is playing Windows games then yeah you’d be better buying a Windows computer.
zeitgeist
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zeitgeist »

I had remembered to set LDFLAGS but it still couldn't find FreeType2.12 for some reason.

I tried your Wine64 build, thanks. My installer.exe still hits a snag though. Maybe Wine doesn't know how to handle setup.exe programs that rely on a URL for the installation. It just opens up IE with an XML error.

Oh well, I'll just look for a cheap used PC laptop. Thanks for all your replies. I learned a lot about Wine and how to complete the compilation.