New user trying to playing Windows Vista's Spider Solitaire

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Keeper717

New user trying to playing Windows Vista's Spider Solitaire

Post by Keeper717 »

Hello everyone, I just recently installed Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 and I believe to have successfully installed Wine version 7.0

I'm just starting out and I would like to be able to make something like similar to a desktop icon that can start and play Window Vista's version of Spider Solitaire. So far I've been able to install Wine and I've also copied the Microsoft Games folder from my parent's old desktop to a USB and then transferred that folder to my downloads folder in my files. I understand that Linux isn't Windows, but I'm taking things one step at a time and I hope to be able to make a desktop shortcut to play the game. Eventually, this will be for my parents to play on, so the least amount of steps needed to launch the game the better. In the meantime though, I'm just trying to get the game to launch and my easiest solution without using Wine has been to save a web browser link to my desktop that they can just click and it takes them to the website.

So I'm not sure where the problem is occurring but when each game folder has both a regular .exe file and then another .exe.mui file inside of the en-US file. I'm not sure which is the correct program to open with Wine, but neither of them work when I right click on these files and try to "open with Wine Windows Program Loader". Even when I try to use the terminal and run the command "wine SpiderSolitaire.exe" I get an error that says "Application could not be started, or no application associated with the specified file. ShellExecuteEx failed: File not found."

I found this { https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... on&iId=164 }
which I think says that I should be able to play it?
I was also reading this post { viewtopic.php?t=35817 }
from another user, but couldn't really understand everything that was going on. Only that it has to do with the fact that the game is a 32 bit program and wine is a 64-bit program. Or at least that's what I think is going on. Even when I tried "~$ wine 64 start /unix SpiderSolitaire.exe", I still got the same error. I put an imgur link to show what I'm looking at, maybe that will help?

https://imgur.com/a/gkdVWuW

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and any help would be greatly appreciated!
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: New user trying to playing Windows Vista's Spider Solitaire

Post by jkfloris »

which I think says that I should be able to play it?
The Windows Vista version of Spider Solitaire is (almost) the same as the Windows 7 version. Unfortunately, this version has the "Garbage" rating. Your last screenshot gives the same error message as what is on the AppDB.

The second-to-last screenshot indicates that you are not in the folder where you copied Spider Solitaire.
To start the game (which will fail) use:

Code: Select all

cd "${HOME}/Downloads/Microsoft Games/SpiderSolitaire"
wine SpiderSolitaire.exe
To play the game, you also need to copy the CardGames.dll file from Windows Vista. (You can find this file in C:\windows\System32\). Copy this file from the USB stick to the same directory as SpiderSolitaire.exe

The game also needs the Windows Media Player. You can easily install this with the program winetricks.

Code: Select all

sudo apt install winetricks
sudo winetricks --self-update
winetricks -q wmp11
Now you should be able to start the game.