MS Access crashing on WINE

Questions about Wine on Linux
Waltraute

MS Access crashing on WINE

Post by Waltraute »

Dear Friends,

I have devoted a lot of time to getting Access 2003 running on WINE and have been more successful than most online doomsayers would expect. Everything works apart from creating append queries and a couple of VBA commands.

Anyway, my problem isn't directly with this, but with the fact that I have a DB that works perfectly on my laptop, but when I installed the same system on a desktop computer using a Systemback live memory stick, with the same wineprefix and the same database, loading the VBA module behind an important form crashes the DB instantly. The DB isn't corrupt--I have restored a number of backups, all of which work fine on the laptop and crash on the desktop. Other DBs, also containing complex VBA, run fine on both systems. I get a different set of errors and fixmes on each machine when I run the offending DB from the terminal (and different for the crashing DB compared with other DBs that work), but Googling them doesn't provide much help--there is no clear culprit. (I'm happy to post the logs for anyone who cares).

It seems to me that this has, by a process of elimination, to be hardware-related because everything else is the same: same installation of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, same version of WINE, same wineprefix, same database. Also I actually wiped the disk and installed a new live system at some point, which has not made a difference. Can anyone see anything I'm missing, or give me some pointers as to what kind of hardware issue might cause this? The only other difference is that the with the desktop the backend of the database is on a network drive--but once again this is fine with other DBs so I don't think it's so do with permissions across the network.

Is anyone has any ideas I'd be so grateful!