Wine - preserve game aspect ratio?

Questions about Wine on Linux
rado84
Level 2
Level 2

Wine - preserve game aspect ratio?

Post by rado84 »

When I play an old game that supports only 4:3 resolutions on Steam with Proton (such a game is Hard Truck Apocalypse), it appears on the screen as centered, not stretched at the edges of the screen. For instance, if you run HTA with Proton and set its resolution at 1280x960, you get a shape that looks almost like a square in the center of the screen with two vertical black lines to the left and to the right. Something like this:

What I'm asking here is: is there any command to instruct wine to run a game the same way - centered in the screen, not stretched?
NM64
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Wine - preserve game aspect ratio?

Post by NM64 »

(I just registered to share my experience with aspect ratios)

I've found that normal WINE on its own does not have any way to control or modify the aspect ratio and it instead purely relies on the game itself to manage that as well as the GPU driver.

You can find my lengthy discoveries on the subject in this Linux Mint forum thread of mine: For games from the mid 2000s and older that were designed back when CRT monitors were the standard, the game itself usually does not have any sort of aspect ratio control and also typically uses exclusive fullscreen which similarly passes aspect ratio control to the GPU.

Games newer than the mid 2000s more commonly have aspect ratio control and/or can support the "borderless window" style of fullscreen which itself works as a form as aspect ratio control.