Adobe Acrobat Pro 8.0: Activation (Internet Connection Not Detected)

Questions about Wine on Linux
lawlist
Level 2
Level 2

Adobe Acrobat Pro 8.0: Activation (Internet Connection Not Detected)

Post by lawlist »

I am using the latest developer build of Wine downloaded today from the Github mirror, and have installed Adobe Acrobat Pro 8.0 using a 32-bit version of Wine. The installation was successful, other than a pop-up near the end that stated the postscript driver is not supported. I am the owner of this Adobe software and have a good serial number, but the program says "Internet Connection Not Detected".

To test whether Wine applications could see the internet, I ran iexplore.exe in the Program Files for Internet Explorer and it was able to successfully access winehq.org over the internet. The Program Files directory is the same one where this particular installation of Adobe Acrobat Pro 8.0 is also installed.

I am assuming that Adobe Acrobat Pro 8.0 can still be activated even though it is an older program, but that is just an assumption on my part.

How can I help this program access the internet so that I can activate it with my serial number?
lawlist
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Adobe Acrobat Pro 8.0: Activation (Internet Connection Not Detected)

Post by lawlist »

I did some further Googling and read in a few places that Adobe activation is no longer possible using the installation from the CD. I am researching whether a newer special installation version is still available for download and also whether activation may be possible.
lawlist
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Adobe Acrobat Pro 8.0: Activation (Internet Connection Not Detected)

Post by lawlist »

In the event that anyone finds this thread in the future, here is the status (as I understand it) as of 09/14/2022. Creating an account with adobe.com and registering the program using a valid serial number will not serve to generate a download button for the final version that does not require on-line activation. The final version that does not require on-line activation is almost to impossible to find, but after a few hours of Googling and trying different versions, I was eventually lucky enough to find it. The version is recognizable because the 30-day trial is greyed out, installation requires a special product key, and clicking on "Never Register" suffices. [No need to copy any files, etc.] There is a hacked version floating out there on the internet that is a little easier to find, but since I own a full retail version with a valid license/key, I felt that I was entitled to spend hours searching for the Holy Grail and ultimately succeeded.