General Question concerning Wine

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
winesaxo

General Question concerning Wine

Post by winesaxo »

Hello,
I'm new to this forum, but not new to WINE, wich I use for years now. I'm trying to get rid of the last reasons to still keep a Windows XP on a computer. The most important reason is "capella professional". My version is "2008" and it actually runs on my computer under WINE using timidity as a Midi-Server. My capella is a legal and paid copy. The reason for writing this post is: If I activate capella, it gives the message that capella is activated. But next time I start it, the shown hardware-code has changed and I have to activate it again. This is a infinite process. Asking the Capella-Software AG directly, they told me: "your version is to old, buy the new one, it will work with WINE". Sorry, but I won't do it. When I bought my version of capella, nothing ever was said about a limitated time. So it seems the only chance to use capella 2008 is to install it every 4 weeks. But there are rests of capella in wine that will recognize the old unactivated capella and prevent a new installation. I don't want to reinstall my Linux every 4 weeks also. The result would be the same as reinstalling XP every 4 Weeks (because no MS-Activation Servers anymore, and the manipulating the registry of XP to get it activated as shown on some websites doesn't work.
Now the question:
If I only reinstall WINE - then I think that absolute every rest of the old capella-version should be deleted. Am I right ? That would allow me to reinstall capella every 4 weeks. Meanwhile I work well with "Musescore". But because of a few thousand of musical notes, I have written with capella, I still need a version of it for the transfer of my notes to Musescore. Some of my capella-files are too big, and cannot easily be opened by Musescore. In this case it chrashes. That means, I have to change them inside Capella to be able to open them in Musescore.
Does a new installation of WINE really wipe out all residues of the old WINE Installation and buy doing this, does it wipe out everything wich was written of the former installation of capella, or do I have to delete other files or folders wich are no deinstalled automatically ?
Thanks for an answer
dimesio

Re: General Question concerning Wine

Post by dimesio »

winesaxo wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:17 am Does a new installation of WINE really wipe out all residues of the old WINE Installation and buy doing this, does it wipe out everything wich was written of the former installation of capella, or do I have to delete other files or folders wich are no deinstalled automatically ?
https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#How_do_I_uninstall_Wine.3F
winesaxo

Post by winesaxo »

Thanks - as far as I understood from topic 4.4 of the WineHQ Wiki I have to remove the hidden ".wine-folder" from my home directory and afterwards remove a few other files from:
.config/menus/applications-merged/wine*,
.local/share/applications/wine,
.local/share/desktop-directories/wine*,
.local/share/icons/
New question is: Do I have to reinstall Wine to create the .wine folder new ?, or does wine do that automatically, or do I have to create the folders myself, to continue working with Wine ?
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

The next time you use Wine the .wine folder will be automatically created again. So it's not necessary to reinstall Wine.
winesaxo

Post by winesaxo »

Hello dimesio and jkfloris, thanks for your help, it worked. After I took the proposed actions. I was able to install capella 2008 completly new and have another 30 days. This might help with many other programs for windows. Thanks again.