WMP in Wine for fedora

Questions about Wine on Linux
drifter

WMP in Wine for fedora

Post by drifter »

Hello,
Apologies for such a basic question. I'm running Wine from a package download in fedora 36.
It was installed using the commands

Code: Select all

sudo dnf install wine
and then;

wget  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winetricks/winetricks/master/src/winetricks

chmod +x winetricks

sudo mv winetricks /usr/local/bin/
I assumed the basic programs such as notepad and media player 10 should be easy. i was able to run notepad successfully using the command

wine notepad
but using

wine wmplayer
I got the error display:

002c:fixme:winediag:LdrInitializeThunk wine-staging 7.12 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
002c:fixme:winediag:LdrInitializeThunk Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
0100:fixme:wmplayer:wmain stub: L"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Windows Media Player\\wmplayer.exe"
I have no idea where to start with this. I can find wmplayer.exe in the program files directory and running the command there yields the same error.

I then called up the windows console and ran the command but nothing happens and no error messages appear.
Also, neither of these two programs show up in the start menu, which is a bit disappointing.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this would be appreciated.

Cheers.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: WMP in Wine for fedora

Post by jkfloris »

Wine does not have a built-in Windows Media Player. However, it does have many of the necessary libraries that WMP provides. The wmplayer.exe file is only there because some programs use it to check if Windows Media Player is installed.