3 pointless checks in test results

Post issues, bugs, and feature requests about the various WineHQ websites to this forum.
abacadacaba
Level 2
Level 2

3 pointless checks in test results

Post by abacadacaba »

The following errors were found:
  • Please enter whether the application had any problems not present in Windows.
  • Please enter what was not tested.
  • Please enter whether workarounds were used or not.
Remove them please!
dimesio

Re: 3 pointless checks in test results

Post by dimesio »

They are not pointless and they are not going to be removed. If you saw those messages, that means you failed to fill out required information. Follow the instructions in https://wiki.winehq.org/AppDB_Test_Results_Guidelines for submitting test reports.
abacadacaba
Level 2
Level 2

Post by abacadacaba »

Clearly pointless when game fails to start.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

abacadacaba wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:27 am Clearly pointless when game fails to start.
Nope.
Please enter whether the application had any problems not present in Windows
If the game does not start, clearly the answer is yes. You will then be prompted to describe the problem, and ideally your description should be more specific than "game fails to start." How did you try to start it, and what actually happened? Did it crash? Show a black window, with or without sound? Something else? Those details matter to users with the skills to troubleshoot problems and figure out workarounds.
Please enter what was not tested

In the case you describe, the answer would be "Everything beyond installing and attempting to start." The reason for that question is that unfortunately many testers only test installing and starting, and then give a platinum rating based solely on that. Users want to know whether all features of an app or game work in Wine, and the answer to this question at least forewarns them what features have not been tested.
Please enter whether workarounds were used or not.
If you answer yes to this, you will be prompted to specify the workarounds you tried, and even though they didn't help, the reader will at least know what doesn't work. And in the cases where workarounds are needed and do work, this information is vital.
abacadacaba
Level 2
Level 2

Post by abacadacaba »

I don't have Windows at all.
I see no point in "Please enter whether the application had any problems not present in Windows" in the first place.
Nobody asked me if this makes sense ever.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

abacadacaba wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:21 pm I don't have Windows at all.
I see no point in "Please enter whether the application had any problems not present in Windows" in the first place.
Nobody asked me if this makes sense ever.
The question is essential to choosing an accurate rating, because the standard being measured is how running the app/game in Wine compares to running it in Windows. If you encounter a problem that also exists when running the app/game in Windows, then it is a problem with the app/game, not a Wine issue, and should not in itself lead to a lower rating. An example of this that I have personally encountered is the need to bind SimCity 4 Deluxe to one core, or it will crash. It's an old game, not designed for multicore systems, and Windows users on modern computers have to do the same thing.
abacadacaba
Level 2
Level 2

Post by abacadacaba »

Windows users should answer such questions. I don't have Windows at all.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Not starting at all is obviously not a problem on Windows. For things you are not sure about, google the problem. If it's a known issue in Windows, someone would have posted about it somewhere. If googling doesn't turn anything up, assume it's a Wine-specific issue.