How can I create a shortcut that can have multiple windows in it instead of one?

Questions about Wine on macOS.
Oneechan69

How can I create a shortcut that can have multiple windows in it instead of one?

Post by Oneechan69 »

Right now, the only way I have to open a file is with

Code: Select all

wine64 /path/to/exe
, which creates a new window with a new icon, but when I would run the command again, that would just open a new window with a new icon, when I want to have only one icon for all window. I could create a .app shortcut to run the command but it does the same thing.
Oneechan69

Re: How can I create a shortcut that can have multiple windows in it instead of one?

Post by Oneechan69 »

I've done lots of googling before and after posting this and it seems like it's not possible. For certain exe programs on Windows, you can right click on the icon in the Taskbar and click the name of the application to open a new window which shows up under the same icon, and then when you hover over the same icon, you can see both the window(s) that were already opened and the one you just created. I found (or think from my research) that it isn't possible with Wine on Linux and macOS. Instead what you can do is create a .app short with a terminal command to create new windows of a wine app, but each window has it's own icon instead of sharing them like on Windows.

On way to do so is with Platypus app for mac, which can be install either from the website https://sveinbjorn.org/platypus or with homebrew:

brew install --cask platypus 
and I would create a script that goes like this:

/opt/homebrew/bin/wine64 /path/to/exe/file
(that's the path for wine installed with brew install wine-stable on M1 Macs. Change it, which can outputted from the terminal with "which wine" or "which wine64"). Also make sure the path to wine and the exe file are absolute and not relative. I also used this Wine icon I found: https://media.macosicons.com/parse/file ... _Wine.icns.