Installed software OED v4.0 requires CD-ROM, doesn't acknowledge mounted ISO

Questions about Wine on macOS.
davoid

Installed software OED v4.0 requires CD-ROM, doesn't acknowledge mounted ISO

Post by davoid »

Hi,
I'm trying to install OED v4.0 (Oxford English Dictionary), which requires a disk swap during installation and disk insertion upon first running of the application. As I have a Macbook Air, without an optical drive, I need to mount ISO's to install my software.

I browsed to the mounted ISO for Disk 1 and double-clicked on install.exe, the installation progressed until the "insert disk 2" window popped up. I mounted the ISO for Disk 2, pressed OK, and the installation continued until completion.
BUT... when I went to run it, it requires a disk to be inserted, which is what the app normally does in Windows, the first time you run it. The popup says “No CD/DVD-ROM drive found” with options to Retry or Cancel. I tried mounting Disk 1 ISO as I did during installation, but it didn't help.

I know the software works in wine because I have installed it on my linux machine, but that has a physical DVD-ROM drive, in which I inserted the disk upon first running.

Research suggests the problem is that mounting the ISO is not enough, and it needs to emulate a disk in a drive. Is there a method on a mac with which wine would recognize the ISO as a physical disk drive?

It’s an intel macbook air (early 2014)
I'm using wine-stable 5.0
MacOS X Mojave 10.14.6
software to install: OED v4.0

This is my first post on the forum, so please ask if you need more information

Thank you for reading