Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 doesn't launch with the correct resolution

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Matheus
Level 1
Level 1

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 doesn't launch with the correct resolution

Post by Matheus »

Hello. I've looked at the Wine database and THPS4 and it seems this is an uncommon problem I'm having. When I launch THPS4 the resolution is incorrect and it's windowed, no matter the option I choose in the launcher. If virtual desktop is not emulated the resolution of my entire screen gets changed as well, but if I do then it doesn't mess up the computer's resolution, although the game itself is still in the wrong resolution (not the one I chose in the launcher).

The link below has two images that show the problem.

https://imgur.com/a/Gh8jHfU

This is the output of Wine:

https://pastebin.com/RFL3deEx

I'm using Wine 7.0. The fixmes displayed when I first run the launcher appear to be caused by the GNOME-based DE I use from what I could understand. I tried to search a solution for the "The application requested more than one back buffer" problem but I couldn't find anything that worked for me.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Matheus
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 doesn't launch with the correct resolution

Post by Matheus »

Sorry for double posting, but I've read the wiki and thought I'd make the problem more clear as my first post was phrased a little weird. This is what the wiki says:

"You may find it helpful to tick Emulate a virtual desktop. In this case, all programs will run in a separate window. You may find this useful as a way to test buggy games that change (possibly unsuccessfully) the screen resolution. Confining them to a window can allow for more control over them at the possible expense of decreased usability. Confining them to a window can allow for more control over them at the possible expense of decreased usability. Sizes you might want to try are 800x600 (the default) or 1024x768."

The thing is that no matter the desktop resolution I choose, nor what I select in the launcher, the game is restricted to 640 x 480 and windowed. I'm not exactly sure what I should do to fix this.

At least when I have virtual desktop on, my entire computer resolution doesn't get messed up (presumably this happens because Wine is thinking the game is fullscreen and changes the resolution to 640 x 480, as most games change the monitor's resolution when played fullscreen).