Run as normal user UAC on mac

Questions about Wine on macOS.
Snaithy83

Run as normal user UAC on mac

Post by Snaithy83 »

I managed to install winery on Mac OS big sur.
I want to install Retrobat. Installation goes fine and everything installs as it should. However when I try to run it I get this message….

“Retrobat is not designed to be executed as administrator and/or with UAC Disabled. Execute Retrobat as normal user and with UAC activated”

does not allow “run as administrator” I need to run as normal user with UAC. Can anyone tell me how to do this? I’ve spent time researching online and can’t figure it out? I’m not familiar with wine at all… command prompts etc just confuse me?! Ha.
Any help would be much appreciated
Many thanks
JoseskVolpe
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Run as normal user UAC on mac

Post by JoseskVolpe »

I think force non-admin user mode should be a feature for winecfg due to issues like this, but it's something very complex as applications uses many ways to check if user has admin privileges on Windows, Wine has some issues that makes another application to ask the user for "admin rights", usually unimplemented functions or issues with the filesystem.
I'm not sure but i'm afraid you cannot force normal user to Wine applications

Another native alternative for MacOS is Retroarch
JoseskVolpe
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoseskVolpe »

You can try recursively changing permissions on Program Files, Program Files (x86) and Windows directories on the wineprefix directory as root to restrict write access to users, including you, and only allowing write access to these directorires to root, so Wine would return read-only properties to these directories for the application and the application would think you're running in normal user mode, but i'm not sure it'll work. Also, be careful changing file permissions and don't run Wine as root by mistake.
JoseskVolpe
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoseskVolpe »

Did this workaround on Manjaro Linux without success

Anyways, you don't need that to use emulators, you can use native emulators on your operating system and add shortcuts for them, or use Retroarch to setup a emulating environment. You can also dual-boot with Batocera if you wish.
There's no section to setup it using MacOS, but instructions might be similar: https://wiki.batocera.org/dual_boot_ubu ... cera.linux