Building wow64

Questions about Wine on macOS.
vision_m

Building wow64

Post by vision_m »

I just built wine64 on mac and I am continuing through the wine build instructions where it talks about building wow64 in order to run 32 bit programs with wine64. At first this seems impossible since the most recent version of Xcode will not build 32 bit code. But then I found something new, a hack allowing the use of Xcode 9's toolchain on macOS Catalina, Big Sur, and Monterey. Since Xcode 9 was able to build 32 this could possibly be used to build wow64 on mac.

As far as I understand, if I was able to get this built and have the correct rune time libraries in place, hypothetically I would be able to run 32 bit windows applications in wine64 on macOS Catalina.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this.

Am I wasting my time trying to build wow64 on mac?
Would I be better off cross compiling from linux?
Then if i was able to build wow64 for macOS Catalina would it even run or does it depend as well on a 32 bit host architecture or libraries which are not compatible with Catalina?

Also just wondering if this is the correct place to chat about this or would another place be better?
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Building wow64

Post by Gcenx »

vision_m wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:19 pm I just built wine64 on mac and I am continuing through the wine build instructions where it talks about building wow64 in order to run 32 bit programs with wine64. At first this seems impossible since the most recent version of Xcode will not build 32 bit code.
Xcode10 and later ship SDKs that don’t contain 32Bit slices, it’s not that it can’t compile 32Bit just the bundled SDK doesn’t support 32Bit.
vision_m wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:19 pm But then I found something new, a hack allowing the use of Xcode 9's toolchain on macOS Catalina, Big Sur, and Monterey. Since Xcode 9 was able to build 32 this could possibly be used to build wow64 on mac.
I wouldn’t waste your time with that hack it’s actually not worth the effort. The idea behind this was to allow CodeWeavers staff/Gijs/myself to continue to compile 32Bit wine on modern versions of macOS however it’s overkill.

It’s still possible to compile 32Bit using modern versions of Xcode along as your using a suitable MacOSX.SDK aka MacOSX10.13.sdk.

Not going to explain the alternatives to Brendons proposal here.
vision_m wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:19 pm As far as I understand, if I was able to get this built and have the correct rune time libraries in place, hypothetically I would be able to run 32 bit windows applications in wine64 on macOS Catalina.
No you wouldn’t, you could simply install wine-stable/wine-devel/wine-staging brew casks and would see the results. wine64 is incapable of running 32Bit windows binaries that’s handled by wine.
vision_m wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:19 pm Am I wasting my time trying to build wow64 on mac?
Unless your running macOS Mojave and below yes it’s a waste of time as current upstream doesn’t support running 32Bit windows binaries on 64Bit only versions of macOS.
vision_m wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:19 pm Would I be better off cross compiling from linux?
That wouldn’t change the results.
vision_m wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:19 pm Then if i was able to build wow64 for macOS Catalina would it even run or does it depend as well on a 32 bit host architecture or libraries which are not compatible with Catalina?
No see my above explanation.
vision_m

Re: Building wow64

Post by vision_m »

Thanks for making this clear!