Prove WINE install with eOS Hera Ubuntu 18.04 CL

Questions about Wine on Linux
skyhook

Prove WINE install with eOS Hera Ubuntu 18.04 CL

Post by skyhook »

Briefly, I'd like to prove WINE install success before moving forward.
My goal is to download DRM ebooks using ADE in WINE.

This time I stopped at the first sign of trouble to ask directions. I spent the weekend getting intimate as possible with eOS, WINE, Winetricks, .NET, Mono, and Adobe Digital Editions, and my efforts failed. Best result was ADE 1.7 launching but refusing epubs from DRM acsm files. ADE 3.0/4.5 both installed but failed to launch with so many errors I couldn't understand exactly what to address, so I tried everything. After 3 days of flailing, reading, and testing advice that had no effect, I decided on a clean slate to start over. All remnants of that list above were removed, uninstalled, working directories deleted, all gone.

One note that I'm not sure what to make of; the eOS AppCentre WINE is older than dirt--3.0?--and I read of success with latest versions of everything, including 64bit in AppDB. This time I'm proceeding command line only, even though I did that before with WINE v6.0. I'll worry about ease of use after everything is working. I'm under the impression I can, at some point, create an installation--prefix?--specific to every Windows application, so I'd like to do that this time if I need to create parallel tests.

Following some online Ubuntu instructions for WINE, that parrot most I've read:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key
sudo apt-key add Release.key
sudo apt update
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends wine-stable
Pages of reports followed, unpacking/setting up with a couple of "ignoring," but everything appears healthy.

Then, a dead end when expecting to set up with winecfg. Both wine and winecfg not found.
At that point, I realised I had copied an apt-get instead of apt, so I did an apt-get autoremove that removed some cruft, but no change:

bash: /usr/bin/wine: No such file or directory
winecfg: command not found
I'm confused about how the following could be invisible at this point; as reported by apt:

Get:1 https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu bionic/main i386 wine-stable-i386 i386 6.0.0~bionic-1 [68.2 MB]
Get:2 https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 wine-stable-amd64 amd64 6.0.0~bionic-1 [70.5 MB]
Get:3 https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 wine-stable amd64 6.0.0~bionic-1 [1,906 kB]                        
So, how to prove or verify the WINE install? Did I skip something?

PS: Are there topic tags for posts? I don't see any. And why does the search tool tell me to wait?
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Prove WINE install with eOS Hera Ubuntu 18.04 CL

Post by jkfloris »

The "wine" command is in the winehq-stable package.
Probably, you are able to run winecfg with:

/opt/wine-stable/bin/wine winecfg
skyhook

Post by skyhook »

Thank you kindly. That was perfect and the winecfg response matched the instructions.

Before I sign off flush with success and move on to the ADE installer, can you share why the wine command didn't work with wine-stable package? I mean, if that's not wine then what is it?
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

WineHQ makes four packages:
  • wine-stable
    The common Wine files. Installed in /opt/wine-stable
  • wine-stable-i386
    All that is required for 32-bit programs
  • wine-stable-amd64
    All that is required for 64-bit programs
  • winehq-stable
    The meta-package that installs all the above packages and, among other things, provides a link to Wine in /usr/bin
skyhook

Post by skyhook »

That explains a few unmentioned things.

As no wine thing I've tried seems to work, as well as no Windows application installers, do you feel the previous instructions I attempted would solve many problems automagically if I just start over with winehq-stable?

Why won't the wine executable launch from /opt/wine-stable/bin, where you correctly indicated it would be? I suspect I'm ignorant about how linux works, if you need encouragement to criticize. Maybe something to do with pointing at the scripts instead?
skyhook

Post by skyhook »

Been a while, so I tried but I'm back at a familiar dead end.
- installed winehq-stable and was able to access windows executables
- ignored WINHQ winbind step, looking totally irrelevant as not part of a windows domain or related subnet
- created 64bit prefix
- ADE install behaved well
- MS default applications run, like notepad and file explorer
- ADE launch only puts the icon in the bar about 30s and then it quits
- monitor claims the process is still running after icon quit, which I kill manually
- installed winetricks and corefonts dotnet40, no change, but did report a newer version of .net was already installed when the .net installer popped up

Back to no idea on how to proceed. I have read this works, but that's all the evidence I have.

If WINE is installed and working with default executables, then I could assume the defect is with ADE, but I don't even understand which prefix is in use. Because of this, I used CL to install ADE under my new 64bit prefix, but no change. Tried moving the ADE installer inside c:, in case it was related to windows paths, no change. I'm pausing at this point because I've resorted to flailing again.