Bug-Report: IrfanView shows no tooltips

Questions about Wine on Linux
=CO= Windler
Level 2
Level 2

Bug-Report: IrfanView shows no tooltips

Post by =CO= Windler »

I need IrfanView to bulk-rename and resize (change resolution and memory consumption) hundreds of photos simultaneously. For this I need to see tooltips, but WINE does not show them.

The tooltip normally can be enabled and customized in the Thumbnails window through the menu "Options/Set thumbnail options..." and the checkbox "Show thumbnail info text (mouse over):". But it stay invisible when running in WINE.

As a collector and hardware researcher of music keyboards and soundtoys, for reference I keep on my harddisk some 10000 downloaded old eBay pages (consisting each of a HTML page and directory with media contents). Hence I need IrfanView for quick sighting and processing (size reduction, trim, rotate, delete junk) those photos. Yet I used for this on my main PC (Colani bigtower) IrfanView, but because the highend Win98SE machine (AMD K6-3@550MHz, 768MB RAM) became completely overloaded with this work (160GB harddrive full to the brim and FAT32 too slow), I installed an additional modern ITX mainboard with AMD 2400G and 8TB harddrive running Linux Mint 20.1 with KDE 5 Plasma running WINE 6.3 (using PlayOnLinux to switch versions) and a recent 64bit IrfanView.

For effective photo handling I need to see the tooltips (mouseover thumbnails shows full name, file size, dimensions, date) but in WINE this floating bubble help text is not displayed. I mean the bubblehelp (floating textbox at the mouse pointer) when mouse hovering over a thumbnail in "IrfanView Thumbnails" (press T when watching a photo to go there). Although the info may be retrieved in an additional open filemanager window, it makes interactive mass treatment of photos (e.g. quickly reduce file size when too large, but depending on visible quality etc.) much more awkward.

Is there a trick in WINE to enable tooltips?

If this is a technical problem with windowmanagers (rendering text outside own program window on desktop may be blocked as a security risk), it would be sufficient to simply print the tooltip contents in a separate window or tile. Please urgently fix this.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Bug-Report: IrfanView shows no tooltips

Post by Bob Wya »

@=CO= Windler

I can confirm your issue. Testing with Wine version 6.0 does indeed not support tooltips, for the IrfanView Thumbnails window. Versus Windows 7, which does support tooltips for the Thumbnails window.

I'll file a WineHQ Bugzilla bug report - once I've retested IrfanView, with a Git build of Wine. Hopefully later today.

This forum is generally just read by Wine Community members and so posting here, typically won't lead to any fixes landing in Wine! :D

Bob
=CO= Windler
Level 2
Level 2

Post by =CO= Windler »

I am not familiar how sending professional bug-reports works here (requirements look seriously complicated according to the FAQ).

I am also desperately attempting to get my most important graphics program "Micrografx Picture Publisher 8" to work on WINE, but it crashes when a file requester should open (so I can not save) and in various other spots, but I can not even leave a comment on its page because there is no maintainer. Becoming the maintainer is likely to complex for me because I know too little about the detailed inner working of WINE. I did plenty of tests with DependencyWalker but swapping some DLLs does not help. Picture Publisher 7 has the same bugs and Picture Publisher 5 does not run at all (because it is 16bit, which does not run on modern 64bit kernels due to annoying CPU bugs aka "security" features). I will post an analysis of that one later.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@=CO= Windler

I can confirm your save dialog bug with Micrografx Picture Publisher 8...
Again when I get a chance, I'll file a bug for this issue as well! :lol:

Bob
=CO= Windler
Level 2
Level 2

Post by =CO= Windler »

Thanks. I post now a more detailed analysis of the Picture Publisher 8 problem.