Level 2
Level 2

winmx won't connect to the internet

Post by labud »

opensuse 64 bit tumbleweed 20210330 KDE 5.21.3
Kernel version 5.11.6-1
wine 6.5-1277.2-x86_64
winmx 3.54.exe

Problem: Winmx program will not connect to internet [no other problems with anything else connecting to the internet.]
I ran this in terminal as root, but it returned nothing

Code: Select all

wine winmx.exe &> /tmp/log.txt 2>&1
Have been running Winmx on linux [specifically opensuse] [tumbleweed for 3 years now] for many years without problems.
The winmx program is listed as GOLD in the AppsDB.
I am not sure when/which Wine version this started occuring in as I was away [figure its been 2 - 3 weeks ago]
Went to the FAQ for Wine and made sure this info in section 10.6.1 and 10.6.2 was set up properly, but this did not correct the problem or possibly I may not have gotten it right.
Have checked and rechecked my network, winmx, firewall, router/modem forwarding settings and all is good there.

This did happen about a year ago, but by the next Wine/opensuse update it had corrected itself. Not this time, however.
Can anyone suggest where/what I might try to correct this? Thank you.
fargodwe

Re: winmx won't connect to the internet

Post by fargodwe »

There are native linux programs for p2p so you could avoid trying to get this working in wine.https://linuxitpro.net/content/peer2peer-file-sharing

I personally won't go further than that as I noted winmx looks like it might be for sharing songs, videos, etc., which may not be legal depending on the file.
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

Redacted.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

fargodwe wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:52 pm I personally won't go further than that as I noted winmx looks like it might be for sharing songs, videos, etc., which may not be legal depending on the file.
If you're worried about forum rules, file-sharing apps are not illegal in and of themselves. As you note, it depends on what is shared. So discussing such apps is fine, just don't use any illegal examples.
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

Good to know as I was worried that talking about them might be a violation, and the last thing I want to do is violate forum rules.

So, as I mentioned,there are native linux programs for p2p so you could avoid trying to get this working in wine.<url>https://linuxitpro.net/content/peer2pee ... aring</url>.

I hope they can be of assistance to you to be able to just use a native linux app

Is there a particular reason you want to use winmx? Is there a free or at least free trial version of this I can try here?

I also know that it appears from things I've seen on the forum that there are a few things that don't work the best with 6.5. Is there a way you can try going down one version or perhaps try the development or staging versions of 6.5 to see if those help?

Sorry for not doing this earlier but I didn't want to go against forum rules. As long as we don't talk about any file or anything else that is illegal we should be good.