Steam store doesn't load

Questions about Wine on Linux
nucleartuna
Level 1
Level 1

Steam store doesn't load

Post by nucleartuna »

I'm running Wine Steam on Lutris on Ubuntu 20.04. When I open the store it doesn't load any pages except for the Downloads page. I already tried downloading msttcorefonts and adding the -no-cef-sandbox argument and neither of those things worked.

Also I tried just launching my game directly from Lutris but when I do it the framerate dramatically drops. It doesn't do that when I open it from the Wine Steam runner, which I know because since the downloads page still works I can open my game from there, but that means I have to delete Wine Steam and install it back again so I can delete the game and install it back again.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Steam store doesn't load

Post by spoon0042 »

Sounds like https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=44985

You can disable hardware acceleration in the Steam settings -> Interface

(or disable a dll but unchecking a box is easier I think)
nucleartuna
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nucleartuna »

spoon0042 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:51 pm Sounds like https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=44985

You can disable hardware acceleration in the Steam settings -> Interface

(or disable a dll but unchecking a box is easier I think)
I messed around with the Interface settings and it seems to have worked but now I have an entirely different problem because it won't let me install the one game I wanna play because it displays the sign that it's only available for Windows (all other games where that's also the case are open to installing)
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@nucleartuna

If you are trying to run a Steam game - surely you are better off using the native Linux Steam Client and Valve's Proton Compatibility Layer (which has been built into the native Linux Steam Client for over 2 years now).

I generally do all my gaming - using the Proton-GE variant of the Proton Compatibility layer - alongside the native Linux Steam Client.

The Windows Steam Client doesn't run well under Wine at all - if at all - and hasn't for months now.

Bob
nucleartuna
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nucleartuna »

Bob Wya wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:02 am @nucleartuna

If you are trying to run a Steam game - surely you are better off using the native Linux Steam Client and Valve's Proton Compatibility Layer (which has been built into the native Linux Steam Client for over 2 years now).

I generally do all my gaming - using the Proton-GE variant of the Proton Compatibility layer - alongside the native Linux Steam Client.

The Windows Steam Client doesn't run well under Wine at all - if at all - and hasn't for months now.

Bob
Valve's Compatibility Layer is far from working on all games so far - they officially tested and greenlit mostly major titles, the rest varies from running poorly to not at all. The one I wanted to play happens to be the latter.

I already solved the problem on this thread mostly, if I can't solve the new one that came up I'll eventually have to bite the bullet and start dual-booting, but my current SSD doesn't have enough space for both 2 SO's and all my data.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

nucleartuna wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:22 pm ...

Valve's Compatibility Layer is far from working on all games so far - they officially tested and greenlit mostly major titles, the rest varies from running poorly to not at all. The one I wanted to play happens to be the latter.

I already solved the problem on this thread mostly, if I can't solve the new one that came up I'll eventually have to bite the bullet and start dual-booting, but my current SSD doesn't have enough space for both 2 SO's and all my data.
I'm aware that Proton is not a magic bullet...

Have you tried Proton-GE ?
This aims to have wider compatibility than stock Proton.

We can't really help much more - without knowing:
  • Whether your graphics card supports Vulkan (which is pretty much vital for gaming performance)...
    E.g. by getting the output from:

Code: Select all

inxi -C -G
  • What Steam game(s) you're struggling to play...
etc.

Thanks
Bob
nucleartuna
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nucleartuna »

Bob Wya wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:44 am

• Whether your graphics card supports Vulkan (which is pretty much vital for gaming performance)...

inxi -C -G
etc.

Thanks
Bob
I entered the command you mentioned but I don't know how to interpret the output, here's what came out:

CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i5-5200U bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
  L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
  Speed: 798 MHz min/max: 500/2700 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 798 2: 798 
  3: 798 4: 798 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 5500 driver: i915 v: kernel 
  Device-2: NVIDIA GM108M [GeForce 830M] driver: nvidia v: 450.102.04 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: modesetting,nvidia 
  unloaded: fbdev,nouveau,vesa resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: GeForce 830M/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 450.102.04 
as I said I mostly solved the problem with the client interface itself (it's janky as hell but I can navigate it now so it doesn't matter) but now I can't download only one of my games, it's locked with an "available for Windows" stamp on it. I don't wanna disclose what it is because I'm embarrassed about playing it but it's the one game I used Wine for before and all other games in my library are available for download, even though they're also only for Windows/Mac.
nucleartuna
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nucleartuna »

Bob Wya wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:44 am

inxi -C -G
etc.

Thanks
Bob
ok forget everything I said I tried Proton GE and this time it worked. Running smoothly, no problem.

I also suspect that regardless of that the problem with what I was trying was that the game was for some reason still on my computer from when I tried the Linux Steam Client even though I had deleted it, because when I downloaded it again it didn't require me to reinstall the game, so even if that stops working for some reason I think I'll know how to fix it now.

Thank you so much!!!
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

np 8)

Bob