Game fails to load content over what seems to be a path conversion issue

Questions about Wine on Linux
lecapitaine

Game fails to load content over what seems to be a path conversion issue

Post by lecapitaine »

PlayOnLinux debug log attached. The same happens on plain Wine.

Using Ubuntu 20.04.1, tried with latest stable and staging. The game is Crazy Taxi 3 for Windows. Note that my question is probably well into XY problem territory.

The way I see it, the game tries to load the Media/ directory in its own directory, but Wine interprets that as my system's media/ directory, that is Z:\. I'm sure there's a good reason for this behaviour, so I'd like to know if there's some kind of workaround. I figure what I'm looking for is a way to prevent Wine from converting paths in the first place for this one executable.
Attachments
Wy7lE.png
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Game fails to load content over what seems to be a path conversion issue

Post by spoon0042 »

Are you actually running the game from its directory? Like 'cd .wine/drive_c/Program Files...' first? Also getting an actual log could help.
lecapitaine

Post by lecapitaine »

Thanks for replying. I did try to launch in terminal from within the directory (via right click -> "Open in Terminal" within Nautilus) with the same results.

Log upped to Pastebin from doing the above. Note that the page fault is almost certainly due to my force-quitting with Alt-F4. Strangely, the converted paths don't seem to appear here.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

003b:err:gstreamer:watch_bus decodebin2: Il manque un greffon dans votre installation de GStreamer.
003b:err:gstreamer:watch_bus gstdecodebin2.c(4678): gst_decode_bin_expose (): /GstBin:bin3/GstDecodeBin:decodebin2:
no suitable plugins found:
Missing decoder: Audio Video Interleave (AVI) (video/x-msvideo)

003c:err:gstreamer:unknown_type Could not find a filter for caps: "video/x-msvideo"
0009:err:gstreamer:gstdecoder_init_gst Failed to play stream.
003b:err:gstreamer:watch_bus decodebin3: Il manque un greffon dans votre installation de GStreamer.
003b:err:gstreamer:watch_bus gstdecodebin2.c(4678): gst_decode_bin_expose (): /GstBin:bin4/GstDecodeBin:decodebin3:
no suitable plugins found:
Missing decoder: Audio Video Interleave (AVI) (video/x-msvideo)

0009:err:gstreamer:avi_splitter_init_gst Failed to create avidemux; are 32-bit GStreamer "good" plugins installed?
This is the only bit that jumped out at me, may not be a solution but it's an easy fix.
lecapitaine

Post by lecapitaine »

That was it. Turned out I needed the i386 version of the good gstreamer plugins, and the game now loads. Thanks for the help.

Also, play Crazy Taxi 3, it's quite good.